1754917 Members
2932 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PDU Requirements for DL380 Servers in 42U rack

Simon Dyson
Occasional Contributor

PDU Requirements for DL380 Servers in 42U rack

I am designing a rack in which there are 4 * DL380 pre-packaged clusters with MSA500, a KVM switch and TFT monitor. I have added redundant power supplies to the servers. I am based in the UK.

I am trying to work out the PDU's I need to power these and what the total heat and power requirements for the cabinet might be. There will be a single UPS power cable (230V, 60Hz) into the cabinet. I have been quoted from a distributor 2 * 40 amp PDU's but am not sure whether this will give me the number of power sockets I need. I think I will need 27 power supplies. The distributor is struggling to answer the question so I thought I would dcome to the experts.

As the rack is pretty full the PDU's would be have to be side mounted.

I would appreciate any advise on this, plus any ideas as to total power & heat requirements.

Also confirmation that I just need a single roof fan to dissipate the heat and whether I should go for the 600 or 800 wide 42U cabinet.
3 REPLIES 3
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Simon,

There are some online tools which will let you calculate the loads and how large a UPS you require for the job.

Please see...

http://www.upssizer.com/

I also have a spreadsheet which allows you to pick your models and calculate the loads quite accurately, even when adding more CPU's, disks etc. to the configuration. This is handy when calculating maximum loads for the rack, even though you may never reach that peak. I'm sure it's available online somewhere but if you would like a copy please e-mail me at brian.murdoch@hp.com

Regards,

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Simon,

Here is another link worth checking, the Proliant Configurator.

http://h30099.www3.hp.com/configurator/

Regards,

Brian
Simon Dyson
Occasional Contributor

Brian, Thanks for this. I tried the UPS sizer you mentioned. It does show the DL380 G3 (HV) machine but the same problem arises as with the custom builder utility, i.e. the DL380 pre-packaged cluster is not an available option and the MSA500 external disk array is not separately selectable.
When I tried previously to enter the power requirements as a custom device the builder does not calculate it properly.

In my example we will have a direct 230V input from a site UPS so we do not need a UPS device as such.

Would your spreadsheet be a better bet. I have seen some spreadsheets from the HP web-site but they have the same problem, i.e. no support for my hardware nor support for MSA 500, only MSA 1000.