108874 Solutions
New Discussion

Power Supply

Account1
Contributor

Power Supply

Hi,

I have a question about power supply redundancy,
If I have a DL380 Gen10 Plus server with two 800W power supplies, is it possible to supply a combined 1600W in the configuration?
In the iLO power settings, there are modes such as balanced mode and standby mode for one of them, but I would like to know if it is actually possible to supply 1600W (or more) in total for the two of them.

Best regards,

1 REPLY 1
diana658
Occasional Visitor

Re: Power Supply

@Account1bcbsfl wrote:

Hi,

I have a question about power supply redundancy,
If I have a DL380 Gen10 Plus server with two 800W power supplies, is it possible to supply a combined 1600W in the configuration?
In the iLO power settings, there are modes such as balanced mode and standby mode for one of them, but I would like to know if it is actually possible to supply 1600W (or more) in total for the two of them.

Best regards,

Hello, @Account1 

In the case of the DL380 Gen10 Plus server, having two 800W power supplies does not mean you can supply a combined 1600W. The power supplies are designed to provide redundancy; if one fails, the other can take over without interrupting the server’s operation. This is why you have options like balanced mode and standby mode.

The balanced mode ensures that the load is evenly distributed between the two power supplies, while the standby mode keeps one power supply in reserve. The total available power to the server will still be 800W, not 1600W, because the power supplies are meant to back each other up, not to double the available power.

If your server requires more than 800W, you would need to look into power supplies with a higher wattage. For example, some configurations of the DL380 Gen10 Plus server can come with 1600W power supplies,  which would provide the higher power level you’re asking about.

I hope it's helpful for you.

Best Regard,
diana658