1755740 Members
3192 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID 1

lisa bitto
Occasional Contributor

RAID 1

Have an ML110 G4 with 2 drives - SATA controller for Raid 1. Came installed with MS Small Bus server. I had to reinstall the OS and now the drives do not show as mirroring. Drive 0 - containing C partition (system/boot) and an E partition for user files - is basic. Drive 1 is dynamic and unallocated. Can I change drive 0 to dynamic without losing my OS, then mirror to drive 1?
4 REPLIES 4
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Hi,

When you talk about basic/dynamic disks, you sound like you're referring to Windows software RAID. You can right click on a drive and hit "convert to dynamic" in the disk manager, and mirror from there, but if your machine supports hardware raid, that's a much better option.

My suggestion here is to confirm exactly what (if any) raid card came with your machine and let us know.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Ibit

you can read on this article how to do it
yes you can do it without any issue with the data(OS)

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Issue-Involved-Converting-Basic-Disks-Dynamic-Disks.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044

"Converting a basic disk into a dynamic disk is simple. To do so, enter the DISKMGMT.MSC command at the server├в s Run prompt. When the Disk Management console opens, right click on the hard disk that you want to convert (right click on the hard disk itself, not on a partition). Now, select the Convert to Dynamic Disk command from the shortcut menu. You will now be prompted as to which disk you want to convert. Verify that the correct hard drives are selected and click OK. You will now see a very similar screen to the last one, but this one also displays logical drive information. Verify once again that the correct hard drives are selected and click OK. You will now see one last ├в Are You Sure├в message. Click Yes and the disk will be converted."

but for the second question
at this moment you dont have raid level configure so to create the RAID 1 the only option is to rebuild the array so backup your data.

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
lisa bitto
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the clarification on software vs. hardware RAID. My server did come with identical drives (160gb SATA) and RAID 1 drive set. So, how do I validate that?
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor