5792 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Recover Files from RAID 5 to a different Server

jbaptista81
Occasional Advisor

Recover Files from RAID 5 to a different Server

Hi,

1 - My Ml350 G6 fried, and i had 5 SAS drives, 4 RAID 5 + 1 SPARE with Smart Array P410i.

2 - I have a production server DL360 G9 with RAID 5,  5 RAID 5 + 1 SPARE but with Smart Array P440ar controller.

I know they are different servers and controllers, but is there a chance where i can add the RAID disks from server 1, to the server 2, and just retrive the data, thats all i need.

Or it would be better to try to have a server with P410i controller and run the disks in that server?

Regards.

5 REPLIES 5
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Re: Recover Files from RAID 5 to a different Server

Hi,

Get an image with Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Server for Windows and perform a universal restore on the other server.

This is my advice. It is not official.

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

wrote:

Hi,

1 - My Ml350 G6 fried, and i had 5 SAS drives, 4 RAID 5 + 1 SPARE with Smart Array P410i.
2 - I have a production server DL360 G9 with RAID 5,  5 RAID 5 + 1 SPARE but with Smart Array P440ar controller.

I know they are different servers and controllers, but is there a chance where i can add the RAID disks from server 1, to the server 2, and just retrive the data, thats all i need.
Or it would be better to try to have a server with P410i controller and run the disks in that server?

Regards.

The newer controller should be able to read the data from the G6 P410 controller. The issue your going to have is the older drive cages will not work in the Gen9 server.

jbaptista81
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

thanks for the replys.

The cage for the DL360 is not a problem, i have extra. My consern is, can i plug this Hard-Drives (HotPlug),  and read the data? The other consern is the Drives will not be in the same bays like the whore on the fried server, i can't do that, because the DL360 is a production server, and i don't have a backup server so i must use what i have. I would put the drives in the bays 6 to 8 ( unfortunately i only have space for 3 drives).

Still looking for other options, like other server, i'm asking around for someone with the same kind of server and controller,  for me to use the drives and retrieve the data, still no luck.

Regards.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

wrote:

Hi all,

thanks for the replys.

The cage for the DL360 is not a problem, i have extra. My consern is, can i plug this Hard-Drives (HotPlug),  and read the data? The other consern is the Drives will not be in the same bays like the whore on the fried server, i can't do that, because the DL360 is a production server, and i don't have a backup server so i must use what i have. I would put the drives in the bays 6 to 8 ( unfortunately i only have space for 3 drives).

Still looking for other options, like other server, i'm asking around for someone with the same kind of server and controller,  for me to use the drives and retrieve the data, still no luck.

Regards.

I would not recommend hot-plugging these drives into a running system.  The only way  I woud attempt this recovery would be to power off the server, remove all existing drives and insert the drives form the G6

jbaptista81
Occasional Advisor

Thanks all for your replies.

Had luck, i found a server ML350 G6 with P410i controller. Just erase all configurations, added the drives, and it's working now. 
Didn't remember that this server runs extremly loud...