5518 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replace disks in a RAID 1

Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

Replace disks in a RAID 1

Hello good afternoon.

I currently have a HPE ML110 G9 server with a 4GB p440 controller and the integrated b140i controller, in which I have the WS 2016 operating system in RAID 1. Currently in RAID 1 I have two 120GB OCZ TR150 disks with 20,000 working hours, and I would like to replace the two.

What would be the best system to replace the discs?

1 .- I make a backup of the operating system (I have backups made by Windows), change the disks and and reinstall the operating system of the backup? (I dont like this system very much).

2.- Replace a disk, let the system rebuild the new unit, and then replace the other and let it rebuild again.

The new discs that I want to incorporate are two Samsung 860 Pro 250GB, which have a larger size than the old OCZ. Once the two new 250GB disks are incorporated, will I be able to expand the total capacity from the SSA?

Thank you!

15 REPLIES 15
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

I would suggest that you make a backup anyway, no matter which way you go. There are many chances to completely lose all your data if something goes wrong.

The SAFE method will be to backup your data to an external device (USB Disk etc.) and then remove the old disks and make a new logical drive with the new disks (or SSD's).  And if something goes wrong, you can turn back to the old drives.

The OTHER method is to replace one drive with a new one and let the RAID rebuild. Then replace the second drive and let rebuild too. This creates a logical drive that has the same size as before but on larger disks. (with unused space).
Disadvantages:
- Not all controllers support logical drive expansion.... you will possibly be stuck with your old LD size.
- It takes a lot of time (2x rebuild plus expansion)
- Operating system must support partition size expansion.

I would choose the safe method. Even if it seems more complicated it is probably faster.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
Harsh_b
HPE Pro

Hello Robertomcat,

RAID 1 arrays will take the lower disk size as basis for all disks in the array, therefore, all disks will use the capacity up to the size of the smallest drive in the array and the excess space will be left unused. For the mirroring process, replacing the drives one at a time and resynchronizing will allow to save the information without having to start a new array and reinstalling.

However, the card will not automatically expand the array size to fill the aditional space, use partitioning tools like diskpart in windows or lvm in HP-UX.

An alternate option is to make a backup of the the information, creating a new array using the full drive size and reinstalling.

Regards

Harsh_b

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@PDP-Fan@Harsh_b

Well, first of all thank you for answering.

It seems that the election has been unanimously, both of you recommend me to make a backup and then restore it, I'll take the floor.

What secure software could I use to back up? I think that for this task, the Windows Server 2016 backup does not work. Any suggestions?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> Disadvantages:
- Not all controllers support logical drive expansion.... you will possibly be stuck with your old LD size.
- It takes a lot of time (2x rebuild plus expansion)
- Operating system must support partition size expansion.

Your setup should support all of this.

As long as you replace a HDD by HDD or SDD by SDD you can do this "online", make a backup just in case.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@Torsten. wrote:
Your setup should support all of this.

As long as you replace a HDD by HDD or SDD by SDD you can do this "online", make a backup just in case.

So it's great that the b140i controller with the SSA can expand the RAID once the larger disks are incorporated, along with the WS2016.

You also think that you should create a copy, change the disks, and restore the copy of new discs? Thank you!

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

you told you have a p440, right?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@Torsten. wrote:
you told you have a p440, right?

Yes, but that controller does not manage the RAID 1 of the operating system.

b140i = RAID 1 S.O, OCZ TR150 120GB

p440 = 8x6TB RAID5 only data

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I used several times some cloning tools successfully, like macrium reflect.
You can backup online, create a linux or PE based boot medium and restore.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Robertomcat
Regular Advisor

@Torsten. wrote:
I used several times some cloning tools successfully, like macrium reflect.
You can backup online, create a linux or PE based boot medium and restore.

But using the system to exchange the disks one by one and rebuild them, and after expanding to the maximum capacity of the new disks, the b140i controller can not do it?