6559 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SATA HDD Driver Issue when trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2

SOLVED
Go to solution
strocky
Occasional Advisor

SATA HDD Driver Issue when trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2 on Proliant ML110 G5

Hi there, I'm running into an issue trying to install Window 2008 R2 Server on my Server

I can't find the correct driver to allow the O/S to be installed on any my 6 HDD's  I (keep getting a partition error when I select any of the HDD's that are empty)

I can upload my LOG file if required

I've tried several drivers to no avail along with using the PARTDISK cmd to prep the drives

I just want to run the disks in a non-raid configuration

Any ideas where I can find the correct driver?

Regards Strocky

11 REPLIES 11
System_Headache
Advisor

Hello,

From the sound of it, you have a controller card connecting those six hard disk drive. If you want the Operating System to properly install on those HHD, you need to tell us a few things:

• The model of the server?
  • Are they (HDD) connected to a controler card or directly on the motherboard?
  • If a controller card is present, what is the model?
  • Are you running a RAID?

Let us know because with Win2008R2, it is much easier to just plug a USB drive with the *.inf drivers to the respective hardware so that the OS detects and installs properly.

Let us know if you have any concerns or questions.

Good day!

strocky
Occasional Advisor

Hi there the model is Proliant ML110 G5

Not got the server in front of me but certain it's controller is integrated into the Motherboard

Running non-raid, when I do turn raid on in bios, it lists HDD's as JBOD

Strocky
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

You can use the following driver.

HP Embedded G5 SATA RAID Controller Driver for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64 Editions
http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3577726&swItemId=MTX_7f78089fea9942729f92878330&swEnvOid=4064#tab-history

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

strocky
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, will test in the morning and give feedback
strocky
Occasional Advisor

Morning, tried installing the driver at the load driver stage of Windows Server 2008 R2, it finds the ADAPTEC SERIAL ATA HOST RAID (aarahci.inf) driver, loads the driver but then still gives me the same issue

"We couldnt create a new partition or locate an existing one"

This is despite me prepping the HDD using DISKPART with the following commands CLEAN, CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY, FORMAT NTFS  & ASSIGN Driver letter

Do i need to slipstream the driver into the USB ISO?

I can upload the LOG file if required?

Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

@strocky

Did you do the raid configuration?

Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

AlexDBall
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi,

Is the error "We couldnt create a new partition or locate an existing one" or "We couldnt create a SYSTEM partition or locate an existing one" ?

If the latter is true, one possible solution would be to remove all drives except the one you want to install the OS onto and try running windows setup again.

I had this issue recently on a similar server and by removing any additional hard drives from the server allowed me to perform the installation.

strocky
Occasional Advisor

Hi there, No, as I don't want to run raid and lose the data thats already on the other 4 drives

I have 6 Drives in total, 2 blank, 4 with data

The server is only used as a dumb filesharer and to run a few media apps in the background

@Erdogan Temur

EDIT, apologies, Raid was activated and shows the drives as JBOD

If I turn off RAID on the BIOS, Windows Server doesn't recongnise the Adaptec Driver

strocky
Occasional Advisor

Morning, it's the FORMER, no mention of System

However that might be a good idea to just have the one HDD installed to start with, as the O/S install is assigning drive letters including C Drive to the other drives

Will give it a try