ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1758657 Members
2297 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Starting drivers. Please wait, this may ... take HOURS!!!

ianluk
Frequent Visitor

Re: Starting drivers. Please wait, this may ... take HOURS!!!

Please refer other post from https://community.hpe.com/t5/proliant-servers-ml-dl-sl/hp-proliant-dl380-g5-nic-s-not-found-after-firmware-update/m-p/6418056/highlight/true

Posted by Letze01 at тАО03-19-2014 08:53 AM

Boot FreeDOS from ilo

**When the system maintenance switch position 6 is set to the On position, the system is prepared to erase all system
configuration settings from CMOS.

kevimax
Advisor

Hi Bryan,

Welcome to the club !

Exactly the same problem for me here:

https://community.hpe.com/t5/proliant-servers-ml-dl-sl/proliant-dl380-gen-9-starting-drivers-please-wait/td-p/7196792/page/2

You can downgrade easily with a bin file from an earlier version of the firmware that I can provide you, using the "system utilities" ==> "embedded applications" at boot.

The problem here is that we can't get through the POST to get there!

I succeeded on one of my 3 servers, I still don't know why I can't do it on the other 2, the configurations being identical! version of firmware and bios too..

translated by google from french

Forcix

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Just ran into today on two Gen9's.

Wish I hadn't tried upgrading anything.

kira12
Valued Contributor

Hi,

as i had the Problem i swap my P440ar tho a H240ar and the Server booted. now i can update all Firmware Files, most Important was the Bios. This i actually 3.30. After that the Server works again with my P440ar.

best regards r├й

Forcix

Thank you for that suggestion.

I was hoping that simply removing the P440ar controller and cold-restarting, unplug power would have worked.

It hasn't.

I'm starting to think that @bryan_it may be right, that the problem is with Broadcom 1G 4Port 331i (5719A) LOM.

I hope I don't have to get another RAID\HBA controller so as to confirm your solution.

Forcix

Finally, SUCCESS!

The suspicion that @bryan_it had was correct!

In my case, the problem was not with the P440ar but it does have to be phsyically removed so that the POST does eventually get past "Starting drivers. Please wait ..."

By "eventually" I mean it can take hours (I don't know exactly how many because I went to sleep).

My objective was to get the system to boot from virtual media that mounted the "Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) Version Gen9.1" (P52574_001_spp-Gen9.1-Gen9SPPGen91.2022_0822.4.iso).

The steps I followed in order to get past "Starting drivers. Please wait ..." are from another thread in this forum:
https://community.hpe.com/t5/proliant-servers-ml-dl-sl/proliant-dl380-gen-9-starting-drivers-please-wait/td-p/7196792

In particular, on page 2 of that thread I found two comments by "YKC" and "dom-b" that were of interest and that were ultimately the way to get past "Starting drivers. Please wait ..."

Before starting the quoted procedures below, I

1) Disconnected the HDDs from the backplane and disconnected the backplane's power connector from the motherboard.

2) Removed the PCIe riser, then removed the P440ar controller.

3) Flipped maintenance switch 7 to force a legacy BIOS boot.

Then followed the steps below that involved numerous "Resets" and "Cold Boots".

"YKC":
---- SNIP ----
Re: Proliant DL380 Gen 9 - Starting Drivers Please Wait
ok, no problem

I tried many method,

1). power off the server , enter iLo to downgrade FW to 2.4

2). power on the server , it will hold on starting driver....

3). press cold boot in iLo , then change One-Time Boot Status to intelligent provisioning

4). power on the server , when performing early system initialization , press reset in iLo

5). server reboot and POST , when hold on starting driver.... change the power settings to Static High Performance Mode

And then it suddenly pass the "starting driver...." and continue

hope these can help you!
---- SNIP ----

"domb-b":
---- SNIP ----
Re: Proliant DL380 Gen 9 - Starting Drivers Please Wait
Had the same issue on my DL380 G9, very frustrating to say the least and poor HP has not taken down the current LOM firmware from online firmware updates.

After MANY hours of messing around and taking inspiration from this forum, here was my approach, which I have now repeated twice:

1). power off the server , I left firmware on 3.08. Remove the P440AR. Flip maintenance switch 7 to force a legacy BIOS boot.

2). power on the server , using the ILO reset the server during "Early Processor Init"

3). server reboot and POST , when hold on starting driver.... change the power settings to Static High Performance Mode

And then it suddenly pass the "starting driver...." and continue

4) boot the SPP SPP2021050.2021_0504.129 via the ILO and downgrade the LOM firmware

Should now be all resolved and can you flip back to UEFI mode and install the P440AR.
---- SNIP ----

After many resets and cold starts I left it "Starting drivers. Please wait ..." and went to sleep

On a side note, I recall that I did not have the SPP .ISO mounted in Virtual Media before I went to sleep.

But I do recall setting the One-Time Boot Option to Intelligent Provisioning and left it at  "

When I woke up hours later, I saw the console at Intelligent Provisioning.

Once booted from the SPP .ISO and into Smart Update Manager (SUM), the component that was selected by default was "HPE Broadcom NX1 Online Firmware Upgrade Utility for Linux x86_64 (firmware-nic-broadcom-2.29.0-1.1.x86_64):

2023-11-12 040059 - Past Starging Drivers and booted into SPP's SUM.png

It was from there where I did a Firmware Update so as to deploy the "HPE Broadcom NX1 Online Firmware Upgrade".

Then, just to be sure, I restarted the system and while it POST'ed, I mounted the "P52574_001_spp-Gen9.1-Gen9SPPGen91.2022_0822.4.iso".

It went past "Starting drivers. Please wait ..." as expected and not because I mounted the ISO.

Then used SUM to reinstall that firmware again and restarted.

Finally, I

1) Powered it down during POST.

2) Removed power from the power supplies.

3) Re-inlstalled the P440ar. Re-installed the PCIe riser.

4) Flipped maintenance switch 7 to OFF. Placed the cover. Plugged in power. Momentarily depressed the power button to power off.

5) Using the iLO, switched the "Boot Mode", that is under Virtual Media's Boot Order, back to Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI).

6) Powered system back on and booted normally.

Hope this helps.

douf123
Occasional Visitor

THe exact same thing happend to me with this firmware... got the latest HP IP iso from their website... used it to do firmware upgrade.. it only upgraded the lom. No errors.

Now stuck on loading drivers... was qutie fast before i tried to update.

kira12
Valued Contributor

Hi,

i only had this issue with older BIOS, now i use 3.08 and did not have the issue, With 3.30 i did not try it,

best regards r├й

giuseppelm64
Occasional Advisor

i have same problem, but and with some p840 card stuck on please wait and with an other p840 card pass this check and is show as generic storage device. how i can fix it? i already updated with spp all firmware

kira12
Valued Contributor

Hello,

what BIOS do you use? 3.08 or earlier?

best regards r├й