7039 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Microserver gen8 raid

beliy
Occasional Collector

HP Microserver gen8 raid

Hi,

I want to know about difference HP SmartArray B120i with FBWC and HP SmartArray P222 with included FBWC.

Is there some reason for buy HP SmartArray P222 for HP Microserver g8 exept buy only FBWC for B120i?
Also, how possible is it add supporting hot-swap HDD for HP Microserver g8?

Many thanks for information.

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

As noted in the Microserver Gen8 Quickspec

HPE Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller

NOTE: HDD bays 1 and 2 support 6.0Gb/s SATA. HDD bays 3 and 4 support 3.0Gb/s SATA.
NOTE: Supports RAID 0/1/10 only. No FBWC support. For FBWC, a standup Smart Array Controller card must be configured.

The 'B' series Dynamic Smart Array Controllers are chipset SATA controllers that require a driver to provide RAID functionality. These controllers are classified as software RAID.  No cache module is available for the B120i controller in the MicroServer Gen8

The 'P' series Smart Array controllers support both SATA and SAS and are hardware based RAID controllers and most come with a cache module

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
beliy
Occasional Collector

Thanks,

But, i don't agree with

No cache module is available for the B120i controller in the MicroServer Gen8

We have Optional 512MB Flash Backed Write Cache (FBWC)and me don't understand Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller update to hardware raid with it or not((
Also, do you have any information about make possible hot-swap HDD feature?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@beliywrote:

Thanks,

But, i don't agree with

No cache module is available for the B120i controller in the MicroServer Gen8

We have Optional 512MB Flash Backed Write Cache (FBWC)and me don't understand Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller update to hardware raid with it or not((
Also, do you have any information about make possible hot-swap HDD feature?

The Microserver is an entry level server, hot-swappable drives was not an option.

The embedded controller does not have an available FBWC cache module, there is no place to plug a cache module onto the system board.

The Optional P222 controler has a 512MB FWBC module that plugs into the controller as shown in this image

p222cache.jpg

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!