108866 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Microserver N54L - No Video

SOLVED
Go to solution
apashi
Occasional Advisor

HP Microserver N54L - No Video

After seating for 1 year, my HP N54L Microserver is not showing anything over VGA connection.

I've tried a lot of things to make it work again, but with no success:
- changed PSU
- disconect all components
- removed RAM and tried in differents slot
- swaped the Battery
- Resest CMOS with jumper

I am out of ideas . . .

What shall I try next?

12 REPLIES 12
support_s
System Recommended

Query: HP Microserver N54L - No Video - Prolaint server - Microserver N54

System recommended content:

1. HP ProLiant MicroServer User Guide

2. HPE ProLiant MicroServer G7 Server - Steps to Update the Serial Number

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

apashi
Occasional Advisor

Re: Query: HP Microserver N54L - No Video - Prolaint server - Microserver N54

no help on the links . . . 

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello,

Check the VGA cable and the VGA port on the system and check they are not damaged. Swap known working cable and monitor and see if it makes a difference.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

apashi
Occasional Advisor

I already done this checks.

The VGA cable and monitor works perfect with my Microserver Gen8 machine. 

From what I see looking at the VGA port on the motherboard, everything look perfect, nothing to worry about. 

Any other idea to try?

Kashyap02
HPE Pro

Hi, 

As you have tested and confirmed the VGA cable and monitor are working, the VGA port on the motherboard could be faulty. 
Request you to log a warranty case for the replacement. 

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

apashi
Occasional Advisor

My machine is out of warranty!

So this is not an option for me!

Other idea?

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

@apashi 

Good day!

I do see you've already gone through some troubleshooting steps to address the issue with your HP N54L Microserver. Since you've tried several hardware-related solutions, it might be worth exploring some additional steps to identify the problem:

>> Ensure that there are no error LEDs or beep codes indicating a specific hardware problem on the motherboard. Refer to the server's manual for details.

>> Make sure the CPU is properly seated in its socket.

>> Check the heatsink/fan assembly for any signs of damage or improper installation.

>> Connect only the essential components for booting: CPU, one stick of RAM, and the power supply. Remove any unnecessary peripherals, expansion cards, or external devices.

>> Use a different VGA cable and try a different monitor to rule out potential issues with the display hardware.

>> If possible, try breadboarding the system outside the case. Place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface and connect only the essential components. -- This helps eliminate the possibility of a short circuit caused by the case.

>> Plug the server into a different power outlet to ensure that the issue is not related to the power source.
Inspect the Motherboard for Physical Damage:

>> Carefully examine the motherboard for any visible signs of damage such as burnt areas, damaged capacitors, or loose components.

>> If you can access the BIOS/UEFI on your Microserver, check if there's a newer version available. Updating the BIOS/UEFI might resolve compatibility issues.

>> If you have a spare compatible graphics card, try installing it to see if the onboard VGA is the source of the problem.

>> If you still have the same issue. please contact the HPE support for further help.

I hope this info helps!

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.
apashi
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for you ideas. Let me reply one by one to them:

>> Ensure that there are no error LEDs or beep codes indicating a specific hardware problem on the motherboard. Refer to the server's manual for details. - DONE - no LED error code, the system have no speaker for beep error coding

>> Make sure the CPU is properly seated in its socket. - Not applicable - the CPU is sordered on the motherboard

>> Check the heatsink/fan assembly for any signs of damage or improper installation. - Checked - nothing seamns strange 

>> Connect only the essential components for booting: CPU, one stick of RAM, and the power supply. Remove any unnecessary peripherals, expansion cards, or external devices. - DONE - tried multiple config with my 2 RAM sticks, in different slots - nothing changed

>> Use a different VGA cable and try a different monitor to rule out potential issues with the display hardware. - DONE - cable and display checked with my HP Microserver Gen8 and I also checked with another display

>> If possible, try breadboarding the system outside the case. Place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface and connect only the essential components. -- This helps eliminate the possibility of a short circuit caused by the case. - DONE this as well - nothing changed 

>> Plug the server into a different power outlet to ensure that the issue is not related to the power source.
Inspect the Motherboard for Physical Damage - DONE this as well - nothing changed 

>> Carefully examine the motherboard for any visible signs of damage such as burnt areas, damaged capacitors, or loose components. - DONE - nothing seams suspicios 

>> If you can access the BIOS/UEFI on your Microserver, check if there's a newer version available. Updating the BIOS/UEFI might resolve compatibility issues. - Not applicable - I have no video output at all

>> If you have a spare compatible graphics card, try installing it to see if the onboard VGA is the source of the problem. - I need to try this - first I have to buy one . . .

>> If you still have the same issue. please contact the HPE support for further help. - That's what this forum topic is about

I also tried to run it with TrueNAS OS as I was using when the server worked, with ETH cable pluged in. My DHCP server doesn't alocate any IP Adress to it, until I Shut it Down. So only after I Shuting Down the server, DHCP Server allocate an IP Address.

I am open for other scenarios to test  . . . 

apashi
Occasional Advisor

Any other ideas?

Is there anything Incan do to save my server?.

Or I just dump it in the trash bin?