2293 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: IDE-Controller in LC2000

Ament Martin

IDE-Controller in LC2000

Hi,

we're using a LC2000 Netserver.

We want to use beside the SCSI-System some ide-harddisks. Raid is not needed for the ide-disks, they are only for temporary data.

Since there is only one ide controller we bought a promise Ultra133/TX2.

But the system didn't boot anymore if a harddisk was connected to the controller, there was only a blinking cursor. If no harddisk was connected, and so the promise bios was not loaded, then the system was able to boot.

I know, that the lc2000 is a scsi optimated server, but if there is a possibility to connect the ide-hdd (4 harddisks), i would appreciate any help.

Martin
1 REPLY 1
Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

Re: IDE-Controller in LC2000

How do you have these drives installed? I didn't think that the LC2000 would accomodate so many "common tray" devices. I thought that this server only supported 2 additional half height drives in the open drive bays. Maybe, I am mistaken about that.

But, to trouble-shoot this problem, I would first check the boot order for hard drive devices in CMOS. Does the Ultra133 controller you installed show up in the hard drive priority list? If the card isn't listed by name, try changing the priority list so that "bootable cards" is first.

That may fix your problem.

Alicia