ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1755535 Members
5245 Online
108834 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML570 does not boot from SmartStart or Firmware CD

Andy Allen

ML570 does not boot from SmartStart or Firmware CD

I've got a second-hand ML570 that I'm trying to get to work. (I'll be setting up 5 of them for a computer lab.) I downloaded the SmartStart CD version 7.90.0 and the Firmware Maintenance CD version 7.90.0, and burned them both. They start to boot, showing the pretty picture, then die with a "Kernel Panic" and a message about "tried to kill init."

I downloaded the discs for a G2 ML570. Mine has dual 1.0 GHz / 133 MHz processors - is it a G2? I can not find any drivers for a G1.

Thanks!

Andy Allen
7 REPLIES 7
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Andy,

R u saying both the CDs gives you the same error ?? Try the MINIMUM configuration on the server & boot the Firmware CD.

If still no joy, download another copy of these cds.

Regards.
Andy Allen

Yes, I am saying that both discs give me exactly the same error. It looks like HP used a version of Linux on their CDs, and that my system dies at the same place on both of them.

I'll try to figure out what a minimum configuration is. (I'm new to Proliant servers)

Andy
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Andy,

Both the CDs are Scripted using LINUX. Always.
By minimum configuration i meant, one CPU, min RAM-512/1GB; NO PCI cards... or additional storage controllers, no External devices as tape drives .. etc.

Regards.
Fussel
Advisor

I don't know about ML570s, so I might be wrong.
I have several ML370 G1 running (the ones with 1.0 GHz processors) and they DON'T boot the new SmartStart or Firmware CDs.
I have to use SmartStart 5.50 and Firmware 7.30 for them.
There is a reference list somewhere which tells you which version to use on which of the old metal. If you can't find it on the HP website, mail me, I have it somewhere (and I might even find it...).
Fussel
Andy Allen

I'll try some older versions. Also, since I've got 5 of these ML570s, I'll be trying the discs on other systems.

--Andy Allen
Andy Allen

Thanks for the help so far.

I learned to read the link entitled "For a detailed listing of supported servers, please visit SmartStart CD Server Support Matrix" (under every version of the CD) and clicked.

I got to this page: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/cd_supportinfo/ServerSupportMatrix.pdf

I need version 5.50, which I can not find.

Anyone have a download link, or care to trade a burned CD for something I have?

Andy Allen
Andy Allen

Never mind on the D/L link. I found it: http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22678.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I'll let ya'll know if this fixes it.

Andy