1752794 Members
6769 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 6500 array help

Leo_56
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 6500 array help

Could someone please instruct me how to set up my server to use all the available disk drives as one array. The server has the drive cage which allows for 7 full height drives (18.6 gb). In addition I have an F1 Proliant rack with 6 full height 18.6 gb drives. Do I need a dual output (2 internal and 2 external)raid controller to set up all the drives as a raid 5 system and if so which buses on the fan (A, B, or C) controller card do I use?. If I did not care about it being a raid system (which would be dumb) and I wanted the server to see all the drives as individual drives then do I just use the internal C scsi bus? At present I have 2 raid controllers. One controller is cabled to the B scsi bus (3 of the cage drives) along with the external F1 tower. The other raid controller is cabled to the A bus (4 other internal drives. When i am in Windows 2000 server I only see the array which consists of the 3 internal drives and the external tower. I have searched everywhere for information on how to set all of this up and my questions might sound stupid but I am learning so please have patience with me.

Leo
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 6500 array help

Leo:

In order to use ALL the disks in RAID5, you would need to have ALL the disks on the same Array Controller. Not split on 2 controllers.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Leo_56
Occasional Contributor

Re: Proliant 6500 array help

Thanks Steven: could you explain to me how I get all of the disks to be on the same array on this particular server. which buss will recognise ALL of the disks, or how do I need to arrange the cabeling internaly. I do I interconnect the buses?

Leo