1754915 Members
3522 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server won't shutdown

Marcus Barton
Occasional Contributor

Server won't shutdown

When shutting down the server (windows 2003), it reboots instead of shutting down. This is only with DL380G5's
12 REPLIES 12
Marcus Barton
Occasional Contributor

Guess I should have clarified... anyone else seeing this behavior? Any ideas?
micyou

I have the same problem. HP ProLiant DL360G5 - Windows 2003 R2 SP1

If I build this server using SmartStart 7.8, I have the "computer restarts on a shutdown command" problem following a full round of Windows Critical Updates. Installing Windows 2003 SP2 after the problem is present does not solve the problem.

If I rebuild the server using a SmartStart 7.7 disk, I don't have the problem.

I have experienced this problem on two seperate DL360G5s. One with the latest firmware and another with an older firmware.

I haven't narrowed down which update is conflicting with SS 7.8 due to lack of time, but would welcome any advice from anyone who's farther along in troubleshooting this problem.

If it can't be fixed anytime soon, I'll just stick to using SS7.7, toss this SS7.8 disk, and wait to test the next version when it becomes available.
Marcus Barton
Occasional Contributor

I'll take it a step further... we're not even using SS. We use a WinPE cd to do an unattended install using all the latest drivers from HP. We have 15 servers all exhibiting the problem. Doesn't matter if we build it with SP1 or SP2.
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor
Marcus Barton
Occasional Contributor

Neither of those threads have anything even remotely close to this. We're not talking about a bsod or memory corruption (remember, this is exhibiting on all 15 servers).

We're talking will not shutdown. In order to shutdwon we have to physically power off the servers.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Is the issue seen in Windows Server 2003 x86 SP2 or Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2?
Marcus Barton
Occasional Contributor

X86 SP1 or X86 SP2
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

I had to downgrade the NIC drivers < v3.0.5. My server was BSOD while rebooting or shutting down. Therefore shutdown became a reboot of BSOD by default.
BR715111

once again, this is *NOT* a bsod.

When we choose "shutdown" from the os, the system reboots instead.

This is only with the 380G5s. 580s, 385s, and 585s works fine.