New Discussion

Re: Upgrade HPE Microserver Gen 10

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steschu
Occasional Visitor

Upgrade HPE Microserver Gen 10

Hello Community

Since 3 years I run a Microserver Gen 10 with 4x WD RED in RAID 10  mode at the cheap embedded Marvell controller. I use ESXI with VMs like Win Server 2016 and Linux dists.

Experience: The stability and durability of the system itself is fine.

Problem: But the big problem is the slow disk performance. As solution I wanna buy an extended Array controller like "HPE 804394-B21" or "Adaptec
ASR-8405".

May an array controller improve the performance as expected?

How would it work with my WD RED (4x 2 TB @6G SATA) drives?

Thanks a lot for any tipps and experiences

4 REPLIES 4
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I hope you are doing well.

I would request you follow the MicroServer Gen10 as well as the HPE Smart Array SR Gen10 User Guide before purchase the SA controller or add any hardware components.

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00008701enw

HPE Smart Array SR Gen10 User Guide

http://itdoc.hitachi.co.jp/manuals/ha8000v/hard/Gen10/SA/879006-002_en.pdf

E-class E-class

Smart Array controllers provide an enterprise-level, cost-effective solution for RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10 and software-defined storage solutions. These controllers operate in Mixed Mode which combines RAID and HBA operations simultaneously. They offer encryption for data-at-rest on any drive with HPE Smart Array SR Secure Encryption and provide enterprise-class reliability, security, and efficiency.

E-class Smart Array provides:

• Up to 8 SAS/SATA lanes for internal or external drives
  • RAID levels 0, 1, 5, and 10
  • Mixed-mode RAID and HBA pass-through functionality simultaneously
  • • Data-at-rest encryption • 12G SAS support
  • UEFI and Legacy Boot modes • No cache memory support
  • Smart Array management tools

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link]

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

mysy
Valued Contributor
Solution

You could get hpe P420 /P440 card with 1G / 4G cache card, it could provide hardware mode Raid and cache acc(up to 2xxx mbps). 

If you use software Raid in OS, you could juse buy LSI SAS2308 HBA card or hpe H240 HBA card for provide PCI-E 8x interface speed, it will be better that intel onboard disk chip performance.

felixdp
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I read your answer and you say that H240 RAID Controller is compatible with HPE Proliant Microserver Gen10.
I have installed a new HP H240 controller on Hpe Microserver Gen10 / AMD X3421 but it is not recognized by Bios and system.
Please can you give me a solution, an answer.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Felix

Sunitha_Mod

@felixdp 

Hello Felix, 

Thank you for writing to us! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, we would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo