108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

External Managed DHCP

SOLVED
Go to solution
wilsonc
Occasional Visitor

External Managed DHCP

My organization will not allow my department to manage our own DHCP server. However i would like to use HP CMU. Does anybody have experience in using an externally managed DHCP server that points to CMU in the "next-server" entry? If so, is that all that is needed or should we also ask that a filename record also be added to the DCHP pool options?

Thanks,

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
Armugam_Pradeep
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: External Managed DHCP

Hi,

We don't have any customers/users in using externally managed dhcp servers. cmu doesn't support such configuration.

cmu wants dhcp server running on the management node itself.

During netboot,backup,cloning,autoinstall  operations, cmu writes the node specific entries (mentioned as below) to the dhcpd.conf file on management node.

/etc/dhcpd.conf

host vito-c7n4 { hardware ethernet d8:9d:67:72:06:6e; fixed-address 172.17.231.28; next-server 172.17.224.4; allow bootp; option host-name "vito-c7n4"; option root-path "172.17.224.4:/opt/cmu/ntbt/rp/x86_64,nfsvers=3,proto=tcp"; }

cmu binds the mac address to the static IP address  for that compute node and also writes next-server entries too in dhcpd.conf file on management node.

cmu writes the node entries only when the above operations are performed.

Thanks,
Pradeep A.

wilsonc
Occasional Visitor

Re: External Managed DHCP

Thank you for the information. We will have to find a way to get a DHCP helper address in place that points to CMU.