1748019 Members
4732 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems with Installation of Server 2003 on cl1850

alinco

Problems with Installation of Server 2003 on cl1850

background:
CL1850 was formated using the smartstart v7.20 ,all firmware was updated,installed Windows 2000AS, upgraded to Windows 2003 Server Enterprise,all of the drivers have been updated to use the latest versions on hp's site. The host adapters are also set to

scsi id 6 for node1
and
scsi id 7 for node2

problems:
1. the CR3500 raid controller shows up in device manager under "Other devices" with a question mark. I have attempted to load the

HP ProLiant 32-Bit SCSI Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Server 2003
version 5.24.0.0 B (23 Apr 03)

for the CR3500 as mentioned in another forum posting but have been unable to do so successfully.

2. when I run "start\program files\compaq system tools\CR3500 Array Configuration Utility" it returns an error stating that "the CR3500 configuration Utility cannot communicate with subsystem on the node"

The CR3500 Array Configuration Utility is able to see and administrate the shared storage if I choose serial connection instead of scsi but it is painfully slow,sometimes taking several minutes to refresh a simple menu navigation, and Windows is unable to recognize the shared storage in diskmanagement.

Any assistance would be much appreciated as I have been unable to locate a definitive answer to these issues.

I have included screenshots of the error message as well as the device manager tree.
9 REPLIES 9
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

I am asked for a user name and password when trying to get to your screen shots.

Is there another way to post them?

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

For Problem #1:

No driver was ever needed or written for the CR3500 device. It is a firmware driven device and requires no specific driver for Windows, therefore, Windows put this device in "Other devices" category in Device Manager. Basically, this is OK and you don't need to worry about it.

For Problem #2, see the attached troubleshooting document for tips.

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

one more note: The .pdf technical paper talks about creating a CRERASE diskette and SmartStart 4.90 or higher is needed to do this. However, I am sure latest SmartStarts don't have CRERASE anymore.

You may have to go back to SmartStart 5.50 if you need this utility.

You can find SS 5.50 here:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22678.html

Thanks,
Doug

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
alinco

I apologize if anyone had difficulty viewing the attachment. I'm resubmitting the attachment as a .pdf to resolve the problem.
Thank you again for your help and for responding so quickly.
Rob Meredith_3

Just curious as to whether you (or anyone else) has managed to get a CL1850 running OK under Win2K3 - HP's list says "not supported" and there's no driver pack as far as I can tell.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I got it working....and it took a bit to do so!

Basically, you have to use the driver provided by Microsoft instead of the HP driver.

It DOES work - so you just have to keep at it. But I promise you, I do have a functioning CR1850 running Windows 2003 Enterprise in a cluster right now.

I think I have another post with more information about this - I will try searching for it and let you know if I find it. Otherwise, if I get time, I will try to document in more detail how I did it.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Here is my previous response to a similar question (sorry - you need to use the HP drive and not the MS driver):

Hi Robert,

I fixed my problem - maybe this will fix yours too:

The Compaq SCSI Ultra-2 drivers that are loaded were provided by Micrsoft (not HP). Apparently the 7.10 Support Pack does not include this driver and so both server nodes in the CL380 were using MS drivers and not HP drivers.

These Ultra-2 interfaces are what connect to the shared disk - so I knew they were the key to fixing the problem.

I downloaded the HP driver and replaced the Microsoft version with the HP version. Viola - it fixed the problem!!!!

To get the lastest file that I used for Windows 2003, use:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17320.html

Not sure if this is the same for CL1850, but I believe they are (the DL380 G1 is basically the same as the CL1850 - just a new name (the guts might be a little different).

Nelson

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Sorry - I have a CL380 not a CL1850 (I always get the two confused).

But hopefully they are similar enough that my solution could work....

Nelson
Rob Meredith_3

Well, the CL380 is officially supported by HP for Win2K3:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_1125.html

But the CL1850 doesn't appear to be, hence my question:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/1124.html?lang=en&cc=us