New Discussion юеВ

Re: Updating firmware on S2D cluster with HPE NVME drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
tict
Occasional Visitor

Updating firmware on S2D cluster with HPE NVME drives

Hi all,

We've been looking to see if the HP ProLiant DL380Gen10 servers which we have running in an S2D cluster are capable of updating the NVME drives firmware with the procedure mentions here:

https://learn.microsoft.com/nl-nl/shows/windowsserver/update-drive-firmware-without-downtime-in-storage-spaces-direct

Normally we would update the firmware through iLO or the Windows exe on the system itself. Since this is a S2D system, the suggested firmware update is the above procedure. but i cannot find any documentation on support.hpe.com that describes the firmware updates through Windows with the xml file and the commands it uses: Update-StorageFirmware

I've extracted the firmware EXE file and it has the FILENAME.rel file in it, so I think this file needs to be visisble on the CSV drive

Thank u!

Can someone confirm me that this is possbile?

3 REPLIES 3
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Updating firmware on S2D cluster with HPE NVME drives

System recommended content:

1. HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server User Guide | Installing an NVMe drive

2. Cray ClusterStor E1000 Firmware Guide (4.x) (H-6206) | HDD/SSD/NVMe Firmware Check/Update Procedure

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

Tim-Gross

Here's a link with more detailed information that outlines checking the storage device to see if the firmware even supports the Update Firmware process and includes a "default" XML file.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/update-firmware 

Hope this helps.

tict
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Level 2 support from HPE adviced me to NOT update the firmware with the mentioned method. The do NOT officially support the 'Update-StorageFirmware' powershell command.

I need to put the node into maintenace mode, boot it from the SPP and then update the firmware from the drives. We will try this next weekend.