Server Management - Remote Server Management
1753513 Members
5096 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can you boot remotely from a (local) USB key via iLo2 ?

Christoph Weber-Fahr
Occasional Contributor

Can you boot remotely from a (local) USB key via iLo2 ?

Hi,

I need to boot a remote Dl385G6 from a USB key. According to its iLo2 interface (1.82) this should be possible - it claims to support USB drives.

The USB key was created with the HP USB key utility from the Firmware Maintenance cd 8.70 and one additional driver sexe (the 2.74 firmware for the P410 smart array). The USB key was tested on a local server and works there.

But whatever I do I can't make the remote server to boot from it. I mounted it both via the java applet and the activeX remote console control, buit in any case it just ignbores it. The server tries to boot from CDROM, Floppy and Hard Drive.

I have put the USB in the bios boot sequence on positions 1, 2 and three, abut none of these settings had any effect.

Is that supposed to work, and if yes, what#s the magic incantation?

Regards

Christoph
3 REPLIES 3
Christoph Weber-Fahr
Occasional Contributor

Some Update:

apparently, both the java applet and and the ActiveX control silently fail when Windows prevents them from full access to the USDB drive - as was the case when using my IT-locked down coroporate desktop PC.

So I tried from a Windowes system under my control. Now the boot loader comes up and the booting goes up until exactly 75% - at which point the sceen goes black, an error message about aborted boot appears and the media is disconnected by the ilo.

It is my suspicion that this is the Moment where the Linux kernel on the firmware CD image tries to take control of the system.

So - how to get the modified firmware CD to boot? (remember I can't use the original CDROM image since the whole point is to get the 2.74 Smartarray firmware, which is not available on any firmware CD).
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Christoph,

I realize it's not a direct answer, but one other way you can apply firmware components is to boot to the firmware CD, run through HPSUM, and then select the button to "Add Supplemental."

Here you supply a floppy disk (or virtual floppy via iLO) that contains a Linux version of the firmware component you need to apply.

hope that helps, if you appreciate the answers we appreciate the points!

Hi. I'm trying that but there's no "Add Supplemental" option in HPSUM when booting FW CD 9.30