1752749 Members
4859 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Grey screen instead of remote console using Windows 2003

Rob Nespor Bellis

Grey screen instead of remote console using Windows 2003

Hi,

We have two DL360's complete with RILOE. The machines are running Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition. We can log in to the RILOE card, but when wanting to use the remote console we are presented with a grey screen.

DL360's are firmware patched to the latest revisions ( as on Firmware CD 7.20 ) as is the RILOE card.

Windows 2003 is patched up to date ( including SP1 ) and is running PSP 7.20

The client workstation is IE6 with the JAVA version downloaded from the HP link within RILOE.

Connection is via a VPN.

Jave starts up ( and shows activity in the console ) but only a grey screen is seen.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Rgds,

R.
2 REPLIES 2
acartes
Honored Contributor

First, I would check to see that you can access these directly (as in, from the local etwork), to determine if the VPN is possibly in the way.

Also check that your firewall allows access to the iLO Remote Console port.

You might want to use the Terminal Services integration. There are details in the iLO manuals.

Finally, can you check that the client works on a different lights-out board? This would show that the JVM is not the problem.different
Rob Nespor Bellis

>First, I would check to see that you can access these directly (as in, from the local etwork), to determine if the VPN is possibly in the way.

VPN is not in the way, full access is allowed ( it is a site to site VPN )

>Also check that your firewall allows access to the iLO Remote Console port.

Firewall is bypassed using the VPN

>You might want to use the Terminal Services integration. There are details in the iLO manuals.

This is a RILOE on a DL360 ( G1 ) I can access the machines via RDC and the 2003 Server admin tools for the console.

>Finally, can you check that the client works on a different lights-out board? This would show that the JVM is not the problem.

Yes the client works connecting to a different machine.

*UPDATE*

When I restarted the machines using RDC whilst connected to the RILOE Remote Desktop the grey screen reset to show the text boot-up sequences and then the graphical screen, but, on one machine the mouse didn't move though keyboard connection was fine, on the other machine the keyboard and mouse didn't work at all.

Also one server is failing when I try to use the remote power switch, I suspect that there may be a problem with the 16 pin cable connection so I will get those cables replaced first before trying to diagnose further.

Rgds,

R.