Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752489 Members
5723 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to reset a hung ilo card?

Bryce Wade

How to reset a hung ilo card?

I've got a few production ML370 G3s that I would like to upgrade the ILO firmware on. Unfortunately they are not responding on the network, probably because we regularly perform port scans on our equipment. They have an unknown ILO firmware version (but before 1.55), and are running Fedora Core 2.

Since they aren't responding over the network I can't reset them via the web tricks (upgrade firmware, change network params, etc.), and since they are running a 2.6 kernel I can't use the online firmware upgrade from the OS.

So, does anyone know a way to reset ILO that doesn't require a reboot?
7 REPLIES 7
Chris_557
Occasional Advisor

Rebooting the box will not affect the ILO unless you totally power down and remove the powr cords. It is supposed to be a self contained system that functions even when the system itself is powered down or hung. Your only bet is to remove its power totally, or go into the BIOS and poke at it, both requiring a reboot if you use ILO.
Junior Yharte
Trusted Contributor

Use HPONCFG for Linux and create a script to reset the board to your liking or back to factory defaults.
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20911.html
Bryce Wade

As I understand it, to use HPONCFG you have to have hprsm installed. To install hprsm you need hpasm installed. To install hpasm you have to have a kernel previous to 2.6. I ran into the same problem just using the online firmware upgrade that comes nicely pre packaged.

Now if you can tell me how to get hpasm and hprsm working with a 2.6 kernel (in a process you would trust for production) I would be out of the woods.

Pointing me to HPONCFG is going to fix some issues I'm having with other systems though!
acartes
Honored Contributor

Did you try the online firmware update component? for example, "Integrated Lights-Out ROM Flash Update - Windows NT/2000/Server 2003" can be downloaded here:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/index.html

It flashes the firmware from the host. When this is complete, iLO is reset.
Bryce Wade

I have tried the online firmware upgrade for Red Hat Linux 8.0, but that requires a couple packages that only work on the 2.4 kernel, not the 2.6 kernel that is running on the box.

I have several solutions that would work, but all require a reboot (doing a 120 reset, using the offline update, installing a 2.4 kernel, installing a new OS, etc.). The current plan is to schedule a downtime, shutdown, pull the power for a few seconds, then booting back up. Then I can upgrade the firmware any time before our next port scan.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I don't know about Linux, but the Insight Manager Agents on Windows have a Reset Lights Out Button which does a reset.

You can also download an offline version of the Firmware, it gets written to aa boot disk and you boot the server from taht and do the firmware upgrade. Probably need a windows box to create the floppies.
That doesn't get round the reboot issue though.
Dee Dickerson
Advisor

I have the HP Management Agents installed, but cannot find where to reset ILO. Any suggestions?