New Discussion

How to use Update-HPEiLOFirmware to update firmware of smart array and NIC

SOLVED
Go to solution
JanvdBoogaard
Advisor

How to use Update-HPEiLOFirmware to update firmware of smart array and NIC

Hello,  

I could update several Gen10 firmware (systemROM, iLO5, SPS, IEGen, Power cntrl) by Update-HPEiLO-Firmware , which is a cmdlet in iLOCMDlets,   I used the .flash, .bin, .hex files specific for the firmware 

How can I use Update-HPEiLOFirmware to update firmware of smart array and NIC  of Gen10?

I could nowhere find any .bin files that worked.

Thanks for yr response, Jan

7 REPLIES 7
ramawatar
HPE Pro

Re: How to use Update-HPEiLOFirmware to update firmware of smart array and NIC

Hi, 

From your query i understand that you are looking  .bin files for Smart array controller and NIC, if i understand correctly then can you please let me know the Smart array controller and NIC model number with which version of firmware you want to update. 

For many hardware component we dont have the .bin files. i will check and update you if we have for SA contoller and NIC once i get the model numbers. 

Thank you!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

coldfire3000
Occasional Advisor

You should be able to find all of the files in the latest SPP.

Have you considered using HPE SUM or iLO Amplifier to do the updates for you? It would probably save you a lot of scripting work. With Gen10 you can do most updates online.

ramawatar
HPE Pro

Yes, this is the best convenient, faster and recommended way of firmware update. 

You can find all here : https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx

Thank you!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

JanvdBoogaard
Advisor

Hello ramawater,

I am looking for the .bin file of the HPE Smart Array P204i-b SR Gen10 , firmware version 2.65,  and for the .bin file of the  HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-port 630FLB Adapter   (firmware version as in  HPE Blade QLogic NX2 Online Firmware Upgrade Utility for Linux 1.0.9. multibootimage version 7.18.26).

I found a bin file for the NIC (by extracting the .exe and .rpm files from the SPP)  , it is named hp_mbi_7.18.26.bin , but this one gives the message:    The file signature is invalid. Make sure you are using a valid, signed flash file and try again.

I am also looking for the .bin files to update drives of types  EG000600JWJNP (HDD)  and VK000480GWSXF (SSD).

If you could help, would be great, wouild help in effort to update firmware with PowerShell

ramawatar
HPE Pro

Hi 

I have searched all the specific conmponent firmware for the .bin file but i could not fine any directly .bin files for any of the compopnent. 

I have downloaded and extracted each file to see if .bin file is there but unfortunately no.

SA controller p204i : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_37e15433b70b44fabfc41b7b67

If i extract then i see the file name : HPE_luxor.bin.fw but not sure whether it will work for you or not but can be try once.

For 630FLB exactly the same file i found which you have already tried : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_8678bc58fdb14b56be30ba6ae0

For the hard disks, no .bin files : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_e4af5736d2d743bc836ba7bee4#tab-history

I would recommend you to use the latest SPP in interactive mode by this way you will get the option to update the desired firmware only not all. Select only required firmware to update

Thank you!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

JanvdBoogaard
Advisor

Hello ramawater

What we want is an alternative for updating firmware of Gen10 servers by using the Virtual media option of remote console  with a custom SPP.   We want to update servers with 3 or 4 different o/s.  We want an o/s independent solution that is less cumbersome than the remote console thing.

SUM can also be used and is better advised but SUM is always o/s dependent and you must also include the drivers, not just the firmware.

What we hoped is to use update-HPEiLOfirmware in 1 simple script for all 3 to 4 o/s.  But now it seems , after my search and your search,  that this is not possibel because not all  firmwaretypes are covered.

Scripting Tools for Windows PowerShell User Guide iLO Cmdlets v3.0.0.0      says on page 48

Using the Update-HPEiLOFirmware cmdlet

The Update-HPEiLOFirmware cmdlet is used to update the firmware.
In case of iLO 4, the following firmware types can be updated:

1. iLO (.bin)
2. Complex programmable logic device (.vme)
3. Power PIC (.hex)
4. ROM firmware image (.flash and .full)
5. Other formats supported by the target platform

In case of iLO 5, the following firmware types can be updated:
1. iLO (.bin)
2. ROM firmware image (.flash and .full)
3. Power Management Controller
4. Server Platform Services Firmware
5. Smart Array drivers
6. Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data
7. Smart Storage Battery
8. TPM or TM firmware
9. SAS Programmable Logic Device
10. System Programmable Logic Device
11. Intelligent Provisioning
12. Networking adapters
13. NVMe Backplane firmware
14. Innovation Engine (IE) firmware
15. Drive firmware
16. Power Supply firmware
17. Embedded Video Controller
18. Other formats supported by the target platform

But this seems not to be true for all of the 18 mentioned types

Thanks a lot for your help in search for a fix, I appreciate this

ramawatar
HPE Pro
Solution

Thanks for your input.

SUM can also be used and is better advised but SUM is always o/s dependent and you must also include the drivers, not just the firmware.

Let me share more input on above statement.

if we update SPP  online (run in OS) then only it will update the driver/firmware both but if we boot the server with SPP ISO using ILO then it will not interact with the OS and only the firmware will update in this case which is call offline firmware update.

I hope if it is ok then we can close this thread.

Thank you!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo