1752782 Members
6433 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO is frozen and commands return "Management Processor is Busy"

T R Matthews
Occasional Contributor

iLO is frozen and commands return "Management Processor is Busy"

Hi. I have an iLO running fw 1.89. It was working fine until earlier today when I had to change the NIC config. I used hponcfg.exe (version 1.0) with a modified version of network.xml.

Before setting the new config I exported the current config which worked fine. Applying the NIC config worked OK - I got the XML output which basically said ok.

I waited about 5 minutes and tried to write out the running config. I got the message:

"No RILOE II board found.
ERROR: No RILOE-II/iLO was found."

Knowing that v1.5 of hponcfg has better detail, I ran that and got the message:

"Waiting for Management processor...
HPONCFG RILOE-II/iLO setup and configuration utility
Version 1.5 (c) Hewlett-Packard Company, 2005

ERROR: Unable to establish communication with iLO/RILOE-II.
Management processor is busy"

I then tried to reset the iLO from HPSMH. The status indicators on the page were all green, but when I click Reset iLO and agree to the confirm dialog, I get an error page which states:

"HP Web Agent HTTP Post Error
An error occurred attempting a SNMP set request.
Invalid type of post request or parameters missing."

This is with the latest version of HPSMH (v 2.1.8.179).

I have stopped and restarted the agents, HPSMH and the HP Proliant Systems Management Interface Driver device. No effect.

So, the questions!

Does anybody know of a tool which will allow me to reset the iLO?

As the NIC wasn't working at the time of the crash, I doubt SNMP will work but does anybody know the OID for a reset, or even health stats?

Any suggestions?

I am very reluctant to reboot for business reasons. I am also unable to unplug the iLO (it's a few thousand K's away).

This is running on Windows 2003 R2. The agent versions are 7.00.0.0. I am unable to upgrade these at this time.

thanks,
Tim
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Check the SNMP service and make sure a READ-WRITE community string has been set. Use the Control Panel applet for HP Management Agents to make sure that SNMP sets are enabled. You also can try the [Reset iLO] button on the Remote Insight tab of the applet.
T R Matthews
Occasional Contributor

David said:
"You also can try the [Reset iLO] button on the Remote Insight tab of the applet."

Hi. The SNMP config is good. I have looked through the HP Agent applet and can't find the [Reset iLO] you mention - the only reference is enabling/disabling notification for Remote Insight alerts.

Was this introduced recently - the agents are somewhat out of date ;(

Also, I the main issue here is that the iLO MP is frozen. I'm 99.9% sure that I'm not going to be able to issue SNMP commands to it as the iLO NIC is down (and it's not configured to share host NIC sadly).

Thanks for your reply though - I appreciate your help.

tim
robpow

Hi,

I have noticed the same issue on the same firmware version. Sometimes a simple ILO card config job takes minutes to complete and sometimes it just says Management Processor Busy. If I ran the command immediately again then it usually works the second time. There seems to be no rhyme or reason, just random lock-ups that eventually come back by themselves.

Matt
Kyle Stokes
Occasional Advisor

I was wondering if there is any update on this issue. I have seven servers with the exact same problem. I do not have physical access to them.