1753464 Members
4699 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Scripted command jobs via iLo?

Cheshire42
Advisor

Scripted command jobs via iLo?

I'm looking at trying to manage a few servers remotely. Currently I manually use the remote log in to the local iLo desktop, and on the command line, type in my commands.

Ideally, I would like to find a way to automate this same task comming in to the server via iLo.

Thank you,
5 REPLIES 5
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

hi cheshire,

What type of work are you trying to automate? What version(s) of ilo are you using?

You can potentially connect via the virtual serial port available in ilo, but there really are limitations...

good luck
Cheshire42
Advisor

Command line management of ESXi boxes over iLo 2 advanced was the idea.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

OK, I think CLI via iLO 2 is going to be lacking. Instead why don't you consider using telnet and/or ssh to send commands?

I personally use PLINK for connections to ssh-enabled equipment from my Windows client. Works well, secure, and simple to use.

good luck with whatever choice you make!
Cheshire42
Advisor

I just ment I can manually reach the local console of the ESXi server via iLo 2.

So if there was a way to create automation cripts that can type in the local console, then I do not require SSH or Telnet or the remote CLI offerings of VMware.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

OK, I understand your goal now. I can't think of any method to send commands through iLO 2 to the ESXi host.

In my opinion you wouldn't really gain security using this method anyway. If you need CLI to ESXi, enable SSH.