Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752808 Members
5828 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to establish communication with iLO/RILOE-II. Management Processor is busy

todorojo
Occasional Advisor

Unable to establish communication with iLO/RILOE-II. Management Processor is busy

I have a bl20p G2 server for which I'm trying to configure iLO.

However, the dongle cable for bypassing and configuring iLO via 192.168.1.1 does not work (computer I'm have the other end of the ethernet cable plugged into says the network cable is unplugged, yet it works on the other bl20p G2 servers in the enclosure).

Anyway, so I've resulted to using the hponcfg.exe utility since I have access to the W2k3 OS via remote desktop. Yet, when I run the tool (version 1.5.1.1 of hponcfg) I get the following error:

"Error: Unable to establish communication with iLO/RILOE-II.
Management processor is busy"

I've tried rebooting but that didn't help any.

Does anyone have any idea how I can solve/bypass these issues and configure iLO?

-Todorojo
8 REPLIES 8
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to establish communication with iLO/RILOE-II. Management Processor is busy

What type of enclosure you have?
Interconnects?
Dongle problem or diagnostic port bent pins?
Type of dongle you have I/O or diagnostic?
Can you pull RTC battery keep system out for a moment and than use default password or enable bypass security?
Does it grab IP address from DHCP server?
can you update firmware if needed from O/S ?

todorojo
Occasional Advisor

>What type of enclosure you have?
>Interconnects?

p-class, but I don't know what rev this one is, if there's more than one kind.

>Dongle problem or diagnostic port bent pins?

Dongle works with other bl20p so I'm assuming it's the diag port, though no bent pins are evident.

>Type of dongle you have I/O or diagnostic?

bl20p dongle is rj45 iLO bypass and serial console ONLY, no kvm connectivity available.

>Can you pull RTC battery keep system out for
>a moment and than use default password or
>enable bypass security?

Not suer, haven't tried that yet.
However, I have the admin password but it's config'ed to use DHCP which isn't working (i.e., isn't registering in DNS for whatever reason). There's an old entry in DNS that comes up when I use nslookup but when I try to use that dynamically assigned IP address I don't get a reply. This has been the case with all of my other bl20p blades. However, once I used the dongle to get in and config iLO with a STATIC IP on the other blades I can connect to them just fine (using the IP).

>Does it grab IP address from DHCP server?

It appears to have once opon a time, but I don't know if it's working now.

>can you update firmware if needed from O/S?

I've installed version 1.11.0.0 of the iLO management interface driver from within the OS (released 27Apr07, cp007411.exe), but that didn't seem to help.
todorojo
Occasional Advisor

> interconnects

There are 2 GbE2 gig-e switches (in the front) and 2 2Gb FC switches (in the back).

And there's a module on the back of the enclosure which has 2 rj45 ports which say "management link to enclosure above/below". But I don't know how to use that.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

open top cover and find System Maintenance Switch #4, enable sw1 Security Override.

Remove RTC battery from system board for one minute, set back after

insert server to good known bay, where other server works fine.

from DHCP or from hyper terminal for enclosure find IP address, than try to open console from network https....

also
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27332.html

todorojo
Occasional Advisor

Oleg Koroz,

I've done the above.

However, I can't find what the HyperTerminal settings should be for the p-class enclosure so I can't find out what the IP address is for iLO.

Also, thanks for the link you gave me for the Online Rom Flash component for Windows for iLO (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27327.html) however, I got the following error (see attached for screenshot) "THe software will not be installed on the system because the required hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't apply to this system."
todorojo
Occasional Advisor

Also, ...I now can't get it to power on (on all the other blades in the enclosure when the server is off I have to go into iLO and choose the "Manual Override for BL p-class" option on the virtual power page and I suspect this is the case for this server as well, which I can't do since I don't have iLO connectivity).
acartes
Honored Contributor

I suggest you open a support case. You might have a broken blade.
Sinan Atasoy

I have the same problem, HP changed the management module but it doesnt fix the problem..