Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1754806 Members
3347 Online
108825 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Building inventory lists

Cheshire43

Building inventory lists

I've been tasked with inventorying our ~100 computer test lab, and seeing how we have HP SIM on one of the machines, I figure it just might be able to help fill that out.

'Data Collection' under options sounds like it would do what I'm hopping for.

The end result is I need an inventory list of the system's name, Domain, system IP/s, iLo IP/s, serial, model, (product number if available), CPU, Memory, local storage capacity, and operating system (w2k3 r2 sp2 & the like).

Any pointers or suggestions is greatly appreciated, I am aware that I'm quite green at this. (If I have to, I will be doing this all manually)

Thank you so much,

-Aaron
8 REPLIES 8
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Since a Data Collection is run after initial identification, you probably have the data already. The Data Collection task runs bi-weekly to keep the information up to date.

The one thing in your list that HP SIM doesn't collect is the Domain, but for the rest, take a look at the default reports to see if you get what you want, and you can create additional reports and specify exactly the criteria you need.

If you wanted to, you could get the domain by using a Custom Tool (assuming you have deployed OpenSSH to all the systems and have set up a trust with HP SIM). Create a Custom Tool that is a 'Remote Tool' so it will run on the device itself (as opposed to the CMS). Using the command line for WMI, it would be:

wmic ntdomain get name

...and each system would report the domain they are a member of.
Cheshire43

Thank you,
I don't know how to customize reports but that sounds to be exactly what I'm looking for. Is there a guide somewhere that clearly outlines it? (I'm new to the software, and I've inherited a system with a lot of questionable configurations and standard practices)

The other issue is a lot of the systems sadly don't have snmp or any other protocol set on them. Is there any easy / unified approach to getting that step handled?
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

there is a help in the HP SIM webpage , if you search on "adding a report" in the help page it should take you through it.

HTH

Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

Thanks mark,

Got through that part just fine, HP SIM is looking more and more useful.

Two hangups though,

1. I can't figure out how to tell me the iLo address for the respective system (iLo is listed as it's own device not paired up with the system it's in)

2. Not all my systems give me equal level of detail. Is this to do with teh protocols configured for them? Will SNMP be able to give me all the info I need if I push it to all systems?

Thank you,

-Aaron
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

in answer to question 1 see the answer from david claypool here :-

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=542332

i don't know which os'es you are using but certainly using snmp covers all of those so i would recommend going that way. again there is info in the help about the protocols available.

HTH

Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Mark,

Your help has been great,
I'm the new guy, and with learning a new environment, new programs, software, policies, faces, the whole of it,
This helps greatly in keeping me working.

I appreciate it.
Keeps me from having to pause too long in frustration. Haha.

-Aaron
Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

Looks like I jumped ahead of myself a bit there.

I fully understand and know how to configure the reports to deliver the Management Processors, but when it lists the iLo IP address, the 'server name' so associated is the same address as the iLo. Problem being I know that none of our servers use the same address as their iLo component.

As for the ' Administration tab --> SNMP/Insight Manager settings --> HIGH ' to increase the amount of information iLo is willing to dish up, I'm still looking at about 80 computers, and dont know how to configure them all remotely.

Another pointer would be much appreciated,

Thank you for your time and considerations,

-Aaron
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

AFAIK you would have to get into each of the rilo's and set that individually.
the associated server name and ip addresses are shown in the 'managed systems' info for each of the rilo's but there is no option as i'm sure you've found to ask for that in any of the report criteria.
there might be some more you could do with mxquery / mxreport on the cli side but that's a good bit of reading up first.
hopefully some of the other guys here might have some suggestions.

HTH