1748140 Members
3547 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't update VCRM

Giovani Moda
Occasional Contributor

Can't update VCRM

Just installed HP SIM 6.2 on a Windows 2008 SBS server, but I'm not able to update the VCRM catalog. I've already reinstalled, changed the running account of "HP Version Control Repository Manager" to an one with administrative rights, cleared the catalogindex.xml file, but still no go. The error I'm getting is:

Severity Error
Date / Time 25/01/2011 17:54:31
Message The automatic repository update failed because an error occurred while retrieving the download site catalog.
Additional Data
Error for file: catalog.xml
Error code: 12003
An extended error was returned from the server.550 /pub/softlib/software2/COL3293/catalog.xml: No such file or directory.

Through IE I can access ftp://ftp.hp.com, as through ftp from command line, so there's no problem with my firewall. What happens is that the file catalog.xml does no exist under COL3293 directory. Here's an output from IE:

FTP Directory: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/COL3293/
Parent Directory
catalog.cab. . . . . . . . . . . Jan 4 13:10 753K
catalogindex.xml . . . . . . . . Jun 21 2010 13K

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No catalog.xml file whatsoever. So I guess there must be something wrong with how my VCRM is configured to obtain files from HP or with HP repository itself.

Here are the installed versions of the components:

HP System Management Homepage v6.2.2.7
Version Control Repository Manager 6.2.1.861

Anyone seeing this also?
9 REPLIES 9
Aaron Blosser
Advisor

I'm seeing this on my VC repository manager as well (VCRM version 6.2.1.861). Like you, it had been working but stopped a couple days ago. I can go to that FTP location and see the other 2 files, but no "catalog.xml".

I restarted the VCRM service and tried forcing an update but I got the same error.

I have another system running VCRM version 6.2.0.860 and it's been having the same problem so I don't think it had anything to do with the recent update to the VCRM agent. My guess is that HP's system that uploads that XML file has been paused or something... it simply doesn't exist on their FTP server. I don't think it tries to pull it out of that CAB file or anything but I could be wrong. There is a "catalog.xml" inside the CAB file...
Mr. Metz, Bross, Busch
Occasional Contributor

Hello everybody,

Im having same Problem since 25.01.2011

An extended error was returned from the server.550 /pub/softlib/software2/COL3293/catalog.xml: No such file or directory.

Tried to change Service user to same account as SIM Service is running under, but did not solve this. Still getting same Error.

Looks like the file is really missing at HP.

nocadministrator

Exact same thing here. All worked fine until Jan 25.
Juergen Zint

I have a similar problem since 25.1.
Catalog.xml is Bad.
Error code: 2147500037
An invalid character was found in text content
Jimmy DE

I have the same error here. Fresh install of VCRM, Admin Startup Account, passive FTP works, security accounts OK.

Hope HP fixes this soon!
FrankW
Frequent Advisor

I also have the problem with the same VCRM version 6.2.1.861. Error code 2147500037, An invalid character was found in text content.

I deleted the catalog.xml and catalogindex.xml in C:\hp\hpsmh\data\webapp-data\vcrepository and retry the update - the files are recreated from the HP ftp site, but the error message persists.

Really hope HP corrects the issue soon.
CRGigoux

I am seeing the same issue, but I am getting a 12007 error. The manual says that this is a DNS issue, but I can browse to the FTP and web sites fine. I haven't been able to update my catalog either via scheduled job or manually for over a month now. Tried restoring the Catalogindex.htm and Catalog.htm files off of tape, but didn't help. Update process wrote over them and I got the same errors. I hope HP gets this bug fixed soon.
shocko
Honored Contributor

When you guys are browsing FTP in IE, do you have a web proxy configured in IE? If so, then this is not a real test. In my implementatio i also use a web proxy that require authentication. For this reason, i put specifi static routes on my SIM box to force traffic for HP sites directly out a fiewall bypoassing the proxy. Also, i have specific host file entries for the SIM backend servers so i dont need DNS. there was an advisopry to do this some time ago but i cant locate it.
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
CRGigoux

I was browsing through several related issues when I saw something on FrankW's history that caught my eye. The VCRM authentication was failing with the VCRM Service set to log on as the Local System Account. I changed it to our AD System Monitoring account and it Voil├Г  my VCRM is now updating. Not sure if this will fix the issue of the missing/non-existent catalog.xml files giving the 12003 error code, but it worked on the similar appearing 12007 error.