1752272 Members
5672 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Email Alerts with Insight Manager

scottyp55
Advisor

Email Alerts with Insight Manager

I'm trying to set it up to send email alerts to me when any event happens, but I can't find any options for this. I've read that you go to "options - events - automatic event handling - new task", but I don't even see Options. I've attached a picture of what it looks like when I log into Insight Manager.
19 REPLIES 19
scottyp55
Advisor

Actually I think I just have the system management homepage. Can you set up email alerts with this?
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

IM Agents on the Server can send SNMP Traps to a Management Station. If you set up SIM as your Central Management Server, you can set up the email notification there....
scottyp55
Advisor

Thanks for your response. I've set up the SIM and I'm monitoring one of our ESX hosts. I disabled a NIC and in the Management Homepage, I see the NIC is in alarm, but nothing in the SIM. Not only am I not getting an email alert, it's not even registering as an event. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Scott
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

first is SNMP Installed and configured on the ESX host? Make sure the SNMP Comm strings are correct and the Trap Dest is set to your SIM Server. Optionally install the HP PSP for ESX. You can also use the Configure/Repair Agents within SIM to update the Agents and SNMP on the ESX host. Once you get the traps working from the ESX host to the SIM server. then you can work on getting the traps to send out a email notification.
scottyp55
Advisor

Thanks again.
I don't know if this will conflict, but SNMP is set up on the ESX host, but we are monitoring drive space, ping, etc. with IPmonitor. Is it possible to use SNMP to also go to the SIM? I'm not sure how that would need to be configured.
If I use the configure/repair option will that overwrite my existing SNMP settings?

Thanks,
Scott
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

Config/repair will overwrite i believe but all you need to do is add the SIM Server IP as a Trap Destination. You could just edit the snmpd.conf file yourself and add the SIM Server as a Trap Dest (Maybe your IPMonitor station is set as a Trap Dest already) and check what comm strings your using and make sure they are used by SIM.

An example snmpd.conf should look somewhat like the following:

dlmod cmaX /usr/lib/libcmaX.so
rwcommunity [somestring] 127.0.0.1
rocommunity [someotherstring] xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
trapcommunity public
trapsink xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
syscontact root@localhost
syslocation [where it is]

Expample for setting Trapsink Destinations:
# Trap destinations
# Multiple trapsinks can be configured;each # must appear on a separate configuration # line
# e.g.
# trapsink mercury.solar.com
# trapsink venus.solar.com
trapsink localhost
scottyp55
Advisor

Here's a copy of our snmpd.conf file on the ESX server.

# Following entries were added by HP Insight Management Agents at
# Mon Dec 28 11:21:16 CST 2009
dlmod cmaX /usr/lib64/libcmaX64.so
rwcommunity doorbell 127.0.0.1
rocommunity public localhost
rwcommunity doorbell 10.150.12.251
rocommunity doorbell 10.150.12.251
rwcommunity public 10.150.12.119
rocommunity public 10.150.12.119
trapcommunity doorbell
trapcommunity public
trapsink localhost
syscontact root@localhost (edit snmpd.conf)
syslocation room1 (edit snmpd.conf)

The doorbell community is our IPmonitor.
I just added the entries with 10.150.12.119 for the public community on the SIM server. I restarted snmpd on the ESX host, but I'm still not getting the alarms. Do I need to add something for the trapsink? I'm not even sure what that is?

Thanks,
Scott
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

yes add another trapsink entry and point it to your sim server
scottyp55
Advisor

Hey that worked! Thanks a lot!

I'm seeing the NIC alarm now when I go to System Properties of the server in SIM. I have an Automatic Event Handling task set up to send me an email for All Events, but I'm noticing that the NIC alarm is not in Events, so I assume that means I won't get the email. Is it possible to set up email notifications for alarms like this?

Thanks again,
Scott