108894 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error message on SIM 4.1 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
yugao
Occasional Advisor

Error message on SIM 4.1 server

since Last Saturday, my SIM 4.1 Server start having this error message.

com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error loading database verification handler 'com.hp.mx.database.MsSqlVerificationHandler'
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error accessing database

Then this:

Restarting MxDomainManager

I verified with the DB admin and they verified that the service account is able to connect to the server without any problem. Anyone know what's up? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor
Solution

you might want to check your ODBC insight_v1_0 system DSN to verify it is correct.

Did you run out of space on the file system that contains your database?
yugao
Occasional Advisor

Go it. It is the ODBC's configuration problem. But it's because the DB team update the DB server over the weekend, this server no longer uses Named Pipes for Network library. I change the setting to TCP/IP and it works now. Thanks.
Phydeaux
Advisor

I looked in my ODBC connections and I did not find any references to HP SIm's database. I am using HP SIM 5 SP3. But your error is the same as the one below.

This is a summary of:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=977955

These steps solved my issue of:
Application Event:
Date: 2/28/2006
Time: 2:23:22 PM
Type: Error
User: N/A
Computer: [left out]
Source: HP Systems Insight Manager
Category: None
Event ID: 3
Description: com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error loading database verification handler 'com.hp.mx.database.MsSqlVerificationHandler'
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error accessing database

Application Event:
Time: 2:23:39 PM
Type: Warning
Event ID: 2
Description: Restarting MxDomainManager

Application Event:
Time: 2:23:39 PM
Type: Information
Event ID: 3
Description: Restart was Successful

Then the 3 would cycle again 25 seconds later.

mxpassword is useful:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library5/mxpassword.1m.html
especially 'mxpassword -g' for users with complex password that include double quotes.

mxuser is not useful to solve this situation:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library5/mxuser.1m.html

Summarized:
The problem is that the user account that installed HP SIM 5 is associated as the account to connect to the SQL server & that account is no longer working. This commonly breaks when the user's password or the account's name has been changed. That is why HP SIM should be installed while logged in with the same account that will be its service account. Installing under an equivalent user's administrator account and then changing the services to run under a different account will be a situation that will break when the user needs to change their password. This situation includes service pack updates to HP SIM.

To fix this change/verify the user account in the database.props file within 'C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config'. Look for the field 'hp.Database.username='. Change it to the same account that is used to run the 'HP Systems Insight Manager' service.
Then use 'mxpassword -g' or 'mxpassword -m -x MxDBUserPassword=""'. The point is to change the password to the one of the service account.
Then restart the 'HP Systems Insight Manager' service or restart the computer. If you start the service, give it a few minute to start up.

Note: It is a good idea to have your monitoring solution monitor for these events just in case of this situation.
RohanM
Advisor

We had the same issue, the system was working OK for some time but then started displaying the same error, found the problem was that for some reason the server value in the ODBC had reverted to just the server name e.g SRV-SQL instead of the full instance name SRV-SQL/OVOPS