1751968 Members
4444 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: gSOAP error from mx commands

MariusGillesen
Advisor

gSOAP error from mx commands

All MX commands like mxquery and mxtask fails with the error.

"There was a problem invoking the command, gSOAP return code"

A Google search suggested that the problem would go away after installation of  Remote Support A05.60, and since the RS software was behaving a bit strange I uninstalled and tried to reinstall. But reinstall fails and the gSOAP problem is still there.

Anyone  got a clue on how to fix it?

Running Windows 2003x64 and latest HP SIM (C.06.03.00.00 )

6 REPLIES 6
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

The mx commands you mentioned using a web service on port 50001 on your SIM server. If you have a TCP port conflict on your system I can imagine such an error message. IRSA is using mx commands also to install additional menus, task and collections inside  your SIM server. You can check with netstat -ab command,  which program is running on which port.

TCP    0.0.0.0:50000          yoursimserver:0         LISTENING
 [mxdomainmgr.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:50001          yoursimserver:0         LISTENING
 [mxdomainmgr.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:50002          yoursimserver:0         LISTENING
 [mxdomainmgr.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:50004          yoursimserver:0         LISTENING
 [mxdomainmgr.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:51500          yoursimserver:0         LISTENING

Windows firewall could also be a reason.

What do get if you run the mxstatus -v command?

some example :

C:\Users\Administrator>mxstatus -v
Checking SIM status - not waiting...
SIM status: Not Ready
SIM HTTP portal not ready
CLI exit code: 1

C:\Users\Administrator>mxstatus -v
SIM status: Ready
CLI exit code: 0

C:\Users\Administrator>

MariusGillesen
Advisor

Thank you for the help in locating the problem area.

netstat -ab shows:

TCP    [insight_server_name]:50001      [insight_server_name]:0  LISTENING       10420
  [mxdomainmgr.exe]

so that looks normal

the mxstatus -v however shows:

C:\Documents and Settings\insight>mxstatus -v
SIM status: Not Ready
SIM CLI interface not ready
CLI exit code: 1

There are no firewall running on the server, and it's an dedicated server only running HP Insight.

Any tip on how to repair/reinstall the CLI part of HP SIM without messing up certificates, collections and configurations for the 2500+ managed nodes?

On my test server with the same HP SIM components installed everything works ok, and the production system har been working fine until sometime this summer. But the CLI is not something I ure very often,so I have not been able to pinpoint when things stopped working.

BPE
Esteemed Contributor

The mxstatus looks like your SIM is not yet started. In such a case the SIM log directory is a useful source for additional information . I guess you will find some java error in the mx*.log files which gives you some hints to the source of the problem. Memory exception during the startup could be a reason 2500+ Node takes some time to startup. How big is your mxdomainmgr service?. The status looks like you can not login to https://your_sim_server:50000. Is this correct?

MariusGillesen
Advisor

The mxdomainmgr service consumes about 3,5 GB memory. But that is in the normal range with the amount of nodes this installation is managing.

The web part of HP SIM works flawlessly, it is only the CLI commands that refuses to work.

Have already checked all the logs I suspect have anything to do with the HP SIM installation, but that did not make me any wiser. No apparent failures reported in any of the usual logs.

BPE
Esteemed Contributor

It seems to be very strange. gSOAP is used by the unified collector RSCC part of IRSA.

The mxstatus  program tries first to connect to port 280 (perhaps you have something other listening on this port) to see if SIM is already running. Afterwards it is using the mxuser -lt mxadmin command which calls a  webservice on port 50001  with the server_key.pem  certificate. When did you change the SIM server certificate?  The installation of IRSA will copies the server_key.pem to different locations. E.g. Desta and Unified collector subdirectories.

I saw that mxcommands are using the original server_key.pem located C:\Program files\HP\System Insight manager\config\certstore\server_key.pem. At least commands like mxnode should runn or you should see an access error in the logs of SIM.

MariusGillesen
Advisor

Still using the original certificate from the installation about 18 months ago, so certificates should not be a problem.

And since it is a dedicated server with no other services than anti virus the only applications using port 280 is the Insight control itself.

running mxnode gives the gSOAP error and the errors I get in the log is:

07 sep 12:01:08,842 ERROR [RequestHandlerImpl] Error processing web service request
org.jboss.ws.WSException: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: setProperty must be overridden by all subclasses of SOAPMessage

07 sep 12:01:08,842 ERROR [[Clif]] Servlet.service() for servlet Clif threw exception
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: setProperty must be overridden by all subclasses of SOAPMessage
    at javax.xml.soap.SOAPMessage.setProperty(Unknown Source)

But debugging those error messages is way outside my knowledge.....