5923 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to modify port number and host header for HP SIM

Nayan Parmar
Occasional Contributor

How to modify port number and host header for HP SIM

Guys n gals,

how do i modify the port number that HP SIM runs on, and also assign a host header to it, so instead of having users connect by the servername:50000, i can have them connect with a easily read cname - https://hpsim for example.

thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Mike EvansCengageLearni
Frequent Advisor

I would like to know if there is a way to do this as well
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Not sure about the first part, but for the second part I don't think you need to do this.

What I do is create a new certifcate within SIM with the name I want users to use. I then create a CNAME record for that name in my DNS pointing to the A record of the SIM server. Then when users connect to the the CNAME, they hit the SIM the server that has a certicate that matches the CNAME.

If you do not know how to create a new certificate in SIM, let me know and I can post some instructions.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Note - you should create the new certicate BEFORE you add any clients. That way any trusts you create are for the new cert, not the one that comes out of the box.

Nelson
Mike EvansCengageLearni
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply Nelson, would you mind posting the instructions for this process?
Nayan Parmar
Occasional Contributor

That's a shame - i've already added all my hosts - any easy way to export them all and re-import post the certificate change?
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

In SIM console:

1) Click on "Options" from the top menu bar.
2) Click on "Security" sub-menu
3) Click on "Certificates" sub-menu
4) Click on "Server Certificate..." sub-menu
5) You should see the default certifcate information HP SIM created at install. Click the "New" button.
6)Provide your custom information. The "Common Name (CN):*" field would be the spot where you provide the FQDN users would use to connect (should match the CNAME in DNS). For example "hpsim.mycorp.com".

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I just noticed the "Edit" button. You might be able to edit the existing certifcate, so that you do not break your existing trusts and add your CNAME to that certificate. It would be the "Alternative Names:" field in the form. I have never tried this but this might work.

Nelson
Mike EvansCengageLearni
Frequent Advisor

By doing these steps, does it prevent the users from having to add the port 50000 at the end of the URL?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Hmmmmm...I'm not sure Nelson's solution really solves the problem. Before the certificate gets served, the server has to be accessed, and this doesn't really address that.

The only way to avoid having to type the port number is to have the service appear on the standard port (e.g. 80 for HTTP) and since IIS is presumably running there, that's not an option. The easiest way to accomplish the task is to create a default 'index.htm' and serve it through IIS with the contents of index.htm consisting of the http-refresh meta tag that will refer on to the https://hpsim:50000 location.