4748 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Insight Manager 7.2

Owen Loughran
Advisor

HP Insight Manager 7.2

Hi Folks,

i've just installed on a clean build SIM 7.2, eveything installed fine and is working, the problem i'm having is the discovery task is only finding a few of our systems.

can anyone suggest anything settings wise to do to help Insight Manager discovery all my systems?

have i done something wrong or not done something i should have to get all my systems discovered?

many thanks

Owen.

9 REPLIES 9
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

by default only the iprange of the sim server is included in the discovery task.

You can add additional ranges to the default task or you can define your own discovery task for specific ranges with diffrent credentials.

Owen Loughran
Advisor

Thanks for your reply, i've updated the default discovery task with all our Ip ranges, now i have noticed there are a few more systems discovered today than there was yesterday.

Do you think it is discioverying our systems ok but just taking time to do so?

thanks

Owen.

BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Yes  as soon as you start a discovery it can run for a long time.

You can see the status / progress if you run the task now or in case of the daily check if you open the view task result page.

This is also the place there you find the information if your credential worked correct or not.

Owen Loughran
Advisor

hi Folks,

My discovery has task has run numerous times, but its still not finding all my systems, can anyone help me out on the best way to configure the settings so i can get SIM to discover all my systems?

thanks.

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

Hi Owen,

I can only help checking Windows Systems. (I don't have any know how on managing Linux Systems...)

But we need a bit more information:

- What kind of systems do you want to manage (Windows / Linux / HP UX) ?

- How do you wanna manage them (SNMP or WBEM) ?

- What is the Error message you get when discovering the missing systems? 

The best way to test here is that you create a discovery task with one specific system which you think should be discovered but is missing in HP SIM. With that you'll have the task results with more information, where the discovery is failing.

Regards,

Owen Loughran
Advisor

hi,

the systems i want to manage are all windows systems, i tried what you suggested & created a new discovery task looking at one ip range that i know systems are on that have not been discovered, no joy it still didn't discover them.

what is the best way to repair or install the hp sim agent if the server doesn't have it install hence why its not being discovered?

Regards

Owen.

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

Hi Owen,

I didn't mean to make a discovery task to a hole IP range, only on one single IP which you know that it should be discovered but isn't!

Because if the system is reachable with ping, there should be at least a "unmanaged" system type discovered in HP SIM!

For installing the Agents the best way is to use the HP Service Pack for ProLiant: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/service_packs/en/index.html

Regards,

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Yes, I also wondering what else can we configure so that we can monitor our HP Physical servers mainly running VMware ESX and WIndows Server 2003 - 2012. But then I found this thread is really informative.

Thanks for sharing it here people !

Best regards,
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Hi Ville,

So what is the difference in using SNMP or WBEM ?

my understanding is that by default all HP servers can be discoverable using SNMP while WBEM is up to Windows Server installed as the OS.

Best regards,