108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5.1 Daily System Identification

Thomas Bauer_3
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM 5.1 Daily System Identification

Hi Forum,

we use the HP SIM 5.1
The daily system identification task runs at 16:05.
When I try to change the settings of this task I just got a blank page, but I am not able to change the settings.
Is it possible to disable this task?
Is there any benefit of this task?
Do I have to run this task every day?
I poll the systems anyway so why to identify the systems every day?

Thx
Thomas
6 REPLIES 6
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Daily Device Identification is how HP SIM picks up changes in your infrastructure such as a blade that might have moved or a system name change.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Thomas,

Daily device identification
Use the Daily Device Identification task to identify information about systems like networking systems. This task runs once a day by default and the information is stored in the database. The following information is
identified:
├Г┬в├В ├В┬в Determines Single Login and Secure Task Execution (STE) support on a managed system
├Г┬в├В ├В┬в Type of management protocol on the system (HTTP, SNMP, DMI, and WBEM)
├Г┬в├В ├В┬в Type and subtype of system (server, storage, switch, router, and so on)
├Г┬в├В ├В┬в Product name of the system
├Г┬в├В ├В┬в Operating system name and version
├Г┬в├В ├В┬в Web Agents running on the system
├Г┬в├В ├В┬в Web-based software running on the system, for example, printer management software
├Г┬в├В ├В┬в System associations with management processors, for example, a system and its Remove Insight Board
├Г┬в├В ├В┬в Storage proxies and related storage systems
├Г┬в├В ├В┬в Wake-on-LAN information

Select Options├в Protocol Settings├в System Protocol Settings.
In the Identification settings section, Also run system identification is selected by default. If you do not want to run system identification, clear the check box.

Polling tasks track health status for systems in the associated collections. Hardware Status Polling needs to occur periodically to determine when systems go offline or hardware degrades. You can customize polling tasks for specific systems to run at scheduled times. You can also create new polling tasks with different collections to match your specific requirements. Data Collection tasks are included with other polling tasks. Data Collection finds more specific system information, such as asset data. You can configure the polling tasks to take place based on the receipt of an event. Event Polling Tasks are associated with event collections. For example, you might set up a Hardware status polling task for when traps are received from a system. When a polling task is set up to run as the result of a change in an event collection, the polling task is applied to all systems generating events that match the given collection.

The following default polling tasks are available on the View All Scheduled Tasks page:
├в ┬в Bi-weekly data collection
├в ┬в Daily device identification
├в ┬в Delete events older than 90 days
├в ┬в Hardware status polling for non servers
├в ┬в Hardware status polling for servers
├в ┬в Hardware status polling for systems no longer disabled
├в ┬в Initial data collection
├в ┬в Initial hardware status polling
├в ┬в Software version status polling
├в ┬в Software version status polling for systems no longer disabled
├в ┬в Initial contract and warranty collection
├в ┬в Monthly contract and warranty collection

Regards,
James.
Chintan Shah
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have a similar issue with the periodic system identification task.
The tasks uses global protocol settings for target system sign in and attempts to sign the HPUX systems with bunch of administrator username and password, they all fail and multiple failure causes forces the target systems to nullify the password due to security.
How can I change the sign credential for HPUX systems, what if I only want ot use SNMP and not WBEM.
I appreciate your help
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

you should open your own thread on this, you cannot control this one.

hth

Jim_2009
Occasional Advisor

Hi guys,

what account doe this use ? does it use an account configured at the agent level via the replicate agent settings or does it use an account on the the server side e.g. service set to logon as etc

Thanks
ClarkKent_1

I found that the system for the base tasks will go back and use any of the credentials stored in any of your "Discovery" queries.  Go through all of the credentials there for each query. (Be sure to use the "advanced" link for the credentials.

We had a gentleman on our team that had his credentials in one of the Discovery queries and his account was getting locked out whenver the Daily System Identification Task would run