1748226 Members
4751 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM and ESXi permissions

Per J (WSP SE)
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM and ESXi permissions

If I don't want to use root to monitor my ESXi 4 server which permission do I have to setup for that account?
4 REPLIES 4
LakshmiBN
Advisor

The following steps should be followed to make a non-root/Administrator user get WBEM data from a Windows box,(These steps would usually work :-))
1. Create a new user account under the "Standard Users" group or "Users" group. Make sure this user account is "password protected"
2. Give DCOM permissions to this new user, the steps for this are as follows
a) Start->Run->dcomcnfg , an MMC opens called "Component Services" under "Console Root" expand "Component Services" to show "Computers" expand "Computers" to get "My Computer", right click "My Computer"-> Properties, "My Computer Properties" opens up, click on the tab "COM Security" .
b) Under "Access Permissions" click on "Edit Limits" give the newly created user Local and Remote access
c) Under "Launch and Activation Permissions" click on "Edit Limits" give the newly created user "Local Launch", "Remote Launch", "Local Activation" and "Remote Activation" permissions.
3. Give the user access to namespaces , so that he can access namespaces locally/remotely
a) Start->Run->Compmgmt.msc . An MMC opens up called "Computer Management" , expand "Services and Applications" , right click "WMI Control" -> properties, "WMI Control Properties" opens up, click on the tab "Security"
b) Select the namespace that you want the user to be able to access, if its all namespaces then select "root" and click on the "Security" button, here give your user the permissions you want him/her to have, now click on "Advanced" button and give the specifier that you want these permissions for this namespaceto be inherited to all other namespaces . (since "root" is the main parent namespace, doing these steps on "root" gives permissions to all other namespaces below it also)

Per J (WSP SE)
Occasional Advisor

I appreciate the effort, but I'm wondering how to setup this user on a VMWare ESXi host that I want to monitor from HP SIM without using the local ESXI root account.
Jags_21
HPE Pro

Hi,

you can login directly to the ESXi Host using the vSphere Client and follow the below steps

1. Click on the "Users and Groups" tab
2. Click on the "Users" button
3. Right click and select "Add"
4. Specify the desired User Name, Password
5. Specify the desired Group for the user and Click "OK"

also find the below URL which might help, as I understand we require root privilages to add the host into HP SIM (and this is for only during adding the host) but check the page no. 11 which might help you.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02000740/c02000740.pdf

Regards,
Jagadish
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

anglet

This is not resolving the issue.

What role needs mi local user in ESXi machine?

I do not want to use root user. I have a hpsim user, and I wonder if it only works with Administrator role

I have tried with readonly role, and it doesn't seem to work.

thx.