New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
help.me.now
Regular Advisor

HP SIM Question

Hi

We're implementing the HP SIM ver 5.2 with SP2 installed in our environment. I have a few question

1. Insight Manager can monitor the Power Consumption/Consuming for each server ? and what is requirement ?

2. Insight Manager can monitor the temperature of the server ? and what is requirement ?

3. How to enabled the ILO management console to monitor all server through ILO communication. and what is requirement ?

4. May I know if required a licensed for the ILO ?

Please answer my question in layman terms, I'm not technical in HP SIM

Thanks
Robert
7 REPLIES 7
WaltCast

Re: HP SIM Question

1. Yes, through the Insight Power management Plugin
HP Insight Power Manager must be used with supported HP ProLiant or BladeSystem servers and requires an iLO Advanced or iLO Advanced for BladeSystem (formerly iLO Select) license. http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/ipm/index.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

2.Not the tempeture details, but you can set up thresholds alerts on the Health Status plugin, letting you know wich server has temp issues

3.Ilo is enable on SIM by adding the license to the server or to the license manager, but you are unable to monitor on Ilo communication all your infraestructure

4. Yes, you will requiere ILO advance licenses

Hope this will help, you can go directly to hp.com/go/sim under library docs for all details regarding this pluggins.
help.me.now
Regular Advisor

Thanks WaltCast for info, but I need more question/information regarding HP SIM what our company will benefits in the products

From the euestion I said before

1. For the server temperature . is there any graph prsentation for the server temperature aside from the threshold monitoring

2. For the ILO , thhe requirement to enable the feature I need to acquire lincensed for the management server and nodes ? correct me if I'm wrong ?
Do I need to install some agent in thee nodes/server side to be able to remote the server via ILO from the managment server ?

3. How do I discover the server in HP SIM ? What is best approach ? , I'm thinking to add only selected sever not the entire segment due non critical the other server ?

Thanks
Robert

WaltCast
Solution

Hi Robert

1. In SIM there are no temperature graphical view options, beside of what I mention before.

Now, if you have Blade servers, you can see that from the Onboard Administrator.

2. You just need the ILO2 license that depending on the server model will be added to the server, but not like an special license on SIM, in order to remote to your servers, you will requiere the managemet agents install on each node or server.

3. In SIM you can discover by IP or DNS, individually or by range

Regards.

I think you should read the user guide for that general questions.
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/infolibrary.html#b3
help.me.now
Regular Advisor

Thanks again from your prompt response
Btw, regarding the ILO2 ?

1. You mean to say I need to istall the plug-in the management server and then install the agent in the nodes to be able remote the nodes via ILO2 ?

2. It's require agent to install agent to be able to remote the server via ILO ?

3. What is benefit of the agent ? what information will add value in our environment ?

Thanks

Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Add infor
2_you can use the ILO standart,but if you want to add feature has REMOTE CONSOLE and other you need the advance license and if you decide to buy it make sure you buy it by packs because these licenses can be use legaly in newer server(has transfert)not if you buy it individually.
3_Make sure when you try to discover them that in you re SNMP agent that they are set to be seen by you HP SIM server and it self(127.0.0.1).if you want i can give give you a secure recipe and dont forget you HP SIM Agent and VCA
help.me.now
Regular Advisor

can you provide more info ..thanks
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

ILO Advance you want more info:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/iloadv/index.html

For the Agent well:
For HP SIM:
you get hardware failure
you cant get service down(with a configuration)
you can board information
you can get alert on heat,storage%,CPU%,Memory%,etc..
For VCA:
You get drivers alert(alert from hp has warning or critiale upgrade:hacker or FIX)
System install from a distance.from hp insight you can install many server at the same time or from the server it self.oyu re choice.VCA works with VCRM on the server insight.

Dan