108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM Service Account Question.

Andy328i
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM Service Account Question.

Hello,

This is my first time posting.

I tried researching this but was not able to find the answer I was looking for.

I currently have a Domain Account with Domain Admin access tied to the HP Insight Manger.

I would like to use a Service Account without Domain Admin access. 

I have created a Domain Service Account without Domain Admin access and modified the database.props and database.admin files::: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01460027&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

After following these steps and successfully configuring these files, I was not able to open HP Systems Insight Manager.

For Troubleshooting purposes, I added the new Service Account to the Domain Admins group and everything operated as normal. 

However, this is not acceptable for our environment and I would like to know if there is a way to make this possible without Domain Admin access.

Thanks in Advance!

7 REPLIES 7
ICS
Frequent Advisor

Sorry i cant provide a link but in the SIM User guide 6.3 page 19 check for spn
Andy328i
Occasional Advisor

Thanks.. I found the Guide and followed it but still came up with the same results.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02786632/c02786632.pdf

I'm going to do a little more research but I'm afraid that I'm going to wipe the system and start over from scratch.

ICS
Frequent Advisor

Make sure the domain account is added to the local admin group on the system. It's a domain admin account it's a system admin
Andy328i
Occasional Advisor

The account is added as a Local Administrator group.  It is not a Domain Admin.

It works great when the account is set as a DA but as soon as it is removed from the DA group and the HP Insight Manager service is restarted, Insight Manager stops working.

Thanks for your help and quick replies!

ICS
Frequent Advisor

Is the service account dbo on the database and did use the mxreconfig dbauth command on the sim server after creating the sc. Did you set actually check the service in Windows to make sure it's the service account you specifed. If you changed the service account in the windows services for SQL that is not the correct way the service account and password must be changed from SQL Server Comfiguration Manager to generate a new registry key.
Andy328i
Occasional Advisor

The account is a Service Account in Windows.

I have not used the mxreconfig command line.

And I have not Configured using the SQL Server Configuration.

I'm going to try now and keep you posted.

Thanks!

Andy328i
Occasional Advisor

Looks like my team has decided to scrap the SIM and start from scratch.

This was an old server which has been upgraded from version 5.x to 6.3 and from the start has been on a Domain Admin account.

Now that I have taken over the SIM, we want to run it from a Service account not in the Domain Admin group.

Starting over will be the fastest way as we have already wasted too much time trying to figure out how to make it work under a new account name in its current condition.

Thanks again for all your help with this!