5985 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPSIM 5.0 SP4 - Version Control Status not showing correctly over WAN link

Ulf Rasmussen
Advisor

HPSIM 5.0 SP4 - Version Control Status not showing correctly over WAN link

Hi,

I'm currently doing an installation of HPSIM 5.0 SP4 on a customer site. The HPSIM server is lcoated in Norway, but the managed servers are all over the world. All the servers we're adding have PSP 7.51A.

Now, most of the servers are working fine. We do have some problems though, specifically with the servers on the slowest WAN links, in Australia, Japan and New Zealand.

The problem is as follows:
The servers show correct hardware status. Software status is however shown as a question mark, with the text "Version Control Agent Not Configured". When I check the Version Control Agents for these servers, they are configured correctly. Also, if I click the software status question mark, I am eventually forwarded to the VCA homepage of the server, and everything looks ok.

So the only problem is the status icon itself really. I've tried deleting the servers and adding them again, I've tried running software status polling multiple times, and also running identify systems task on them. All of these tasks take very long to run, but are eventually shown as completed. The icon however stays as question mark, and not the green tick status it should be showing.

So, we're thinking this is probably due to the slow WAN link. Are there any logs, for example for the software status polling, that I could look at to troubleshoot more? They have HP WAN accelerators on some of these links, but not all. Is there any configuration I can do on the CMS or elsewhere to increase timeouts or otherwise make this work?

I tried looking for similar issues here on the forum, but couldn't find any. Any help is greatly appreciated. As mentioned earlier, all settings on the servers are correct, they have been replicated from a known working server. This includes Trust/Certificate, SNMP, agent settings, VCA settings etc.
21 REPLIES 21
Ulf Rasmussen
Advisor

Re: HPSIM 5.0 SP4 - Version Control Status not showing correctly over WAN link

Is there really nobody here who has experienced something similar? Did you understand the question or do I need to clarify anything?
Andy Ogan
Advisor

I see the same thing. It's hit and miss as to which ones show the status of VC Agent Not Configured.

All the WAN lines are within the state, with most being a T1 line, occasionally an IMA circuit or DS3. Support pack level varies, most of them at 7.3 or newer.

But, not all of my WAN sites experience this. I have some T1 sites that are working just fine.

Ulf Rasmussen
Advisor

Hm, interesting. Do you see the same thing we see, with adding servers or doing a software polling taking 5-10-15 minutes, sometimes more?

I've tried doubling the SNMP and PING timeouts and retries to no avail, as expected, really. Are there timeouts anywhere in HPSIM that relate to software polling and VC status?
Andy Ogan
Advisor

Just tried a Software Status Poll on one of the servers over a T1 link that showed the VC Agent Not Configured status in SIM. Took only about 1 minute (it's an old ProLiant 3000, so slow is expected)

Regarding VC specific timeouts, no clue on that one. I haven't had to adjust anything in that arena before.

I originally just slated these "errors" up to the old hardware and out of date support packs. But if it's happening in more than my location on new support packs with, hopefully, newer hardware, it may be more...
Ulf Rasmussen
Advisor

Yes, we see the fault on all new servers, and as this HPSIM install is part of an upgrade project, the servers are also upgraded to 7.51 and new firmwares. So I don't think it's the servers really, I think it's the link. We also got it on one of the servers in the US, even though they have a pretty good link.
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

You might try uninstalling and installing VCA on one of these servers. Delete the existing server from the SIM database and rediscover it once VCA is installed. You might want to run SW status polling task for this server alone. If it brings up green status then you try on other systems as well.

-Anantha
Ulf Rasmussen
Advisor

Thans, I'll have a try and let you know if that's any help. I kind of doubt it will, because we've done this upgrade on a lot of servers, so it would be a strange coincidence that that kind of fault would only show in these few servers that are in very remote locations.
Andy Ogan
Advisor

Any further luck with this issue? Updating our PSP's didn't help, uninstall of VCA didn't help, the upgrade to SIM 5.0 SP5 didn't help, and it is affecting roughly 50 servers I have in the field.

I'm still trying things on my own, and will post any success stories, but I am hoping for someone to just have the magic bullet...

Ulf Rasmussen
Advisor

Hi, and thanks for your reply. No help yet on this issue I'm afraid, we have a few global customers here in Norway who have this issue on their most remote servers. Any feedback/tips are still appreciated, we're having some trouble solving this one.