Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1754846 Members
5504 Online
108826 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSIM 5.1 is randomly disabling monitoring of servers!!!

Thought I'd chime in with my experience on the subject and I'll try and keep it short. (Running SIM 5.0 back then)

We were having a very similar issue although before I realized that systems were randomly disabling what I had figured out was that some servers (we have over 500 we monitor) were NOT sending alert e-mails - this we knew because WE DO USE CIMNOTIFY as well as SIM and WE LIKE IT THIS WAY (so don't give me the "you don't need both" junk!).

Anyway, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was going on when I starting narrowing in on the problem and for the first time I did see this random disabling problem.

OK, so I wrote a custom script that would alert us whenever a system was disabled (very useful now because there is a group of us that monitor our SIM shared e-mail box).

But, at the same time I started remembering that on the previous PM that we had disabled a huge number of servers and after the PM we re-enabled them.

Long story short I figured out that something had not quite worked right when we tried to re-enable them (although from the SIM view they were NOT showing as disabled) I figured something in the database got messed up and I went and manually re-enabled all devices (not all at once but small numbers at a time) and we've been fine since!

MJ
john mills_3
Frequent Advisor

any idea then on how to "re-enable" systems
that are currently disabled when the option
to re-enable is either not there or greyed
out !!
Ken Olson WAS god !!
dhaskins
Occasional Contributor

Has this issue been resolved?

We are also seeing this issue on our SIM 5.1 installation.

SIM is randomly suspending anywhere from two to five servers a week from monitoring.

Does SIM 5.1 SP1 address this issue?

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Donald
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

I'm still seeing this every now and then for a few hundred of our servers, even in SIM 5.1 SP1
mark q
Regular Advisor

I still see this with my insight manager installation, this morning I had over 1700 servers and now I'm down to 1550.. at random..

any word on this being fixed? I'm at the latest version of insight manager.
Gene Nordahl
Valued Contributor

I'm seeing this now too. I found by investigating why so many systems were being skipped during the Daily ID task.

It's been over a year (according to this string) anybody have a fix yet? Or a way to do a collection of disabled systems when HW status isn't disabled?
J Ruffolo

I am on v5.2.0.1 and I am still getting this random disabling of servers. My additional problem since moving over to the SQL personal edition is, I can no longer discover new systems. This is currently being pursued by HP.
Michael Mercogliano
Occasional Advisor

Does anyone know if there is a solution to monitoring being randomly disabled. The ones I fixed today look as if they were set to be disabled for about a month. I'm on HP SIM build: C.05.03.00.00.

-Mike
Scott_341
Frequent Visitor

I've started seeing this same problem on a couple of my servers after I upgraded to 5.3 last week. It seems to have something to do with the Daily System Identification task running as anytime I run that task against either of those servers, they disable. I've disabled that task for now and the servers are staying enabled.
Michael Mercogliano
Occasional Advisor

Is there a solution to this issue? I'm still having the problem of random servers being suspended. I'm running:

Central management server:
Hostname: ENTSIMP1.chop.edu
Operating system: Windows 2003
Version: Systems Insight Manager 5.3 with SP1 - Windows
Build version: C.05.03.01.00
Build date: 2009-03-28 21:04
Patches: HOTFIX53_003.jar Wed, 8/19/2009, 2:20 PM EDT
HOTFIX53_004.jar Wed,8/19/2009, 2:20 PM EDT
HOTFIX53_005.jar Wed,8/19/2009, 2:20 PM EDT
HOTFIX53_006.jar Wed,8/19/2009, 2:20 PM EDT
HOTFIX53_007.jar Wed,8/19/2009, 2:20 PM EDT
HOTFIX53_008.jar Fri,10/16/2009, 5:18 PM EDT