4916 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPSIM Performance & Scheduled System Task Logs

Tom McGuigan
Frequent Advisor

HPSIM Performance & Scheduled System Task Logs

Hi,
I want to share the following information which may help others faced with poor performance of HPSIM. We monitor about 2700 nodes in our environment and have seen performance degrade over time, since the initial HPSIM install. Recently, we found the root cause to be the enormous number of log files automatically generated by several built-in HPSIM Scheduled System Tasks (Daily System Identification, and Daily Check Event Configuration). These two tasks each create a file with extension ".out" for every monitored node, every day, by default. After even a few weeks, this amounts to 10's of 1000s of files (located in E:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\output...). If you are experiencing performance issues, try navigating in Windows explorer to these directories and see how long it takes just to enumerate each directory (ours took upwards of 10 minutes+!!). I don't know how or if you can disable the creation of these ".out" files (suggestions?). However, I have significantly improved our HPSIM server performance (as perceived by users) by creating a simple batch job (run under windows scheduled tasks) to delete all "*.out" files in the HP ouput directory listed above. The batch job contains the following;
del /q /s E:\"Program Files"\HP\"Systems Insight Manager"\output\*.out
I haven't seen any adverse effects from executing this job every day.
2 REPLIES 2
Mahesh Shah_3
Frequent Advisor

Re: HPSIM Performance & Scheduled System Task Logs

I was experiencing a similar performance problem since I have over 3100 nodes in HP SIM CMS. I manually deleted over 500MB of *.out files. Also I am planning to create a batch job to purge on a regular basis. Your suggestion for deleting old *.out files made a great performance improvement for me. I really appreciate your suggestion.
Yerun
Advisor

Re: HPSIM Performance & Scheduled System Task Logs

Thanks a lot. I found some 60.000 (!) .out files I just deleted.
Performance has indeed improved!