108788 Solutions
New Discussion

HPSIM - System alerts not showing up as events

SOLVED
Go to solution
PinL
Occasional Contributor

HPSIM - System alerts not showing up as events

Trying to configure HPSIM to send out emails whenever there's a major/critical alert. I can see the alert in the system tab.  (Red cross under MP/HS) and can browse to the error in SMH. However, I am not able to get the event triggered hence emails cannot be sent. 

I have checked that under Manage communication, the target host has a green tick under "Events". I am also able to send out SMNP traps fto SIM from the target host.  

Anyone knows if these alerts can be generated as events? Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HPSIM - System alerts not showing up as events

Hello,

There is a difference between the system status and event status. Only events can be used to send alerts like emails.

Status is a pulled status, SIM asks ifthe system is ok. If it''s not the status changed from green to yellow, orange or red. If the system did not send an event there is no trigger that SIM can use to do something like send an email or run a tool. If you look at the event tab for a server that is degraded is there also an event ?

Kind regards,

Andrew
PinL
Occasional Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the explanaion. In this case, is there any way for me to monitor a system that is already degraded?

Under the event tab, there is no event other than the test trap that I sent. 

Thanks!

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

The problem is that you missed the trap, because eiter the traps were not configured or during the actual error the sytem was not present in SIM. Errors can have happend a logn time ago, to check see the log on the agent or Ilo depending on the generation of server. ILO4 systemens should have the error in the log. You can either restart the SNMP agent or ILO so see if the error is send again.

Kind regards,

Andrew