Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1754019 Members
7410 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSIM v5.3 CPU running at 100%

Tim Board

HPSIM v5.3 CPU running at 100%

I am experincing HPSIM running at 100% CPU usage almost all the time. I have uninstalled and re-installed and the same thing happens.

I am running this on a VMware box. Also, can someone point me to a document that shows WHY HP does NOT support running HPSIM in a VMWare environment? Can anyone tell me why this is so resource intensive?

MXDOMAINMGR.EXE is the problem. It is almost always running at 60-80% CPU and it is taking over 1gig of memory.

4 REPLIES 4
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I believe I read somewhere that HPSIM is supported on a VM...but can't locate the exact document or URL that says this.

Are you running SQL server on the same box? My experience is that SQL runs horribly slow on VMware and is problably exasburated by having SIM on the same box. I am sure that there are plenty of people out there willing to defend and justify running SQL on a VM...but I personally avoid it.

That being said, I have no explanation as to why it is running so poorly for you. I can say though that when I tried it myself a while back (SIM on VM) it was painful and I dropped that idea like a bad habit.

Nelson
Tim Board

No, I have a seperate SQL server.

I have been told by a HP CE that it isn't SIM that has a problem on a VM, but it is Remote Support that doesn't like it.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

This is most likely caused by an inadequately configured VM.

For the record, HP SIM is supported in a virtual machine running VMware ESX 3.5 or later (not ESX 2.5, not VMware Server, not any other hypervisor). However, I would never do it except in the smallest environments.

Also for the record, Insight Remote Support (formerly called Remote Support Pack) is supported for installation on a ProLiant server ONLY. Not an HP desktop, not an HP workstation, not an HP notebook, not an Integrity server, not a Dell or IBM server, and not in a virtual machine. This has to do with HP Services policies as well as using the management controller and the HP Health software to assist in diagnostics of events.

A full discussion on the topic is in the ProLiant Management Tip of the Month at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01328849/c01328849.pdf

This has been discussed dozens of times on this board, as recently as June 8 in this case. Sometimes it is worth the time to scan the questions on the first and second page before starting a new thread.