108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ILO Agentless Gen9 and server discovery

Guillaule
Frequent Advisor

ILO Agentless Gen9 and server discovery

Hi

I have 2 Gen9 with Ubuntu 14 and HPSIM 7.4

Ther is no agent for Gen9 for this OS version so i only use ILO agentless (no ams), i set read and trap community, snmp destination is HPSIM

If i discover the Server himself in HPSIM, it complete with major errors

Major:    The system cannot be identified properly for HP SIM to manage;

If i discover ILO, no problem system is well recognize with the health summary/status but in system managed, the associated Server have only the serial numer not server name (See attachement). However in ILO homepage, server name is set ...

Also if i send test trap from ILO nothing happend in HPSIM

thanks for your clarification

9 REPLIES 9
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Could be that the config of the ILO is wrong?

Could you upload a screenshot of your ILO SNMP config? Is a community set, trap destination and servername when traps are send instead of the ILO name?
Kind regards,

Andrew
Guillaule
Frequent Advisor

hi

thanks for your answer

i don't think my config is wrong since in HP SIM, i can see from ILO the SNMP health (see my attachement from the 1st post)

in attachement my SNMP ILO settings (i have mask the read and trap community) Also, I have set in ILO the Server name, see other attachement

Regards

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

Looks like all setting are fine, if you discover the ILO of the server is the SNMP & HTTP protocols found ? You scan your server from the ILO not from the server itself. Information found by the ILO datacollection or traps is mapped to the server object in SIM.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Guillaule
Frequent Advisor

hi

yes that's what i did, i just discover the ILO.

Only SNMP is found FYI (see attchament)

so i really don't undernstand why ILO did not find or pick up server name

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

If you look at your ILO and the management protocols does it say SNMP and HTTP ?

I've deleted my Gen8 server with AMS discovered the ILo with SNMP and HTTP and the server also got added with no protocol on the server side. I'm not sure if you need AMS to see the servername, that would be a shame. The SNMP and HTTP datacollection should be more than enough to see the server name. If you want i can check if a server without AMS also resolves the servername on a Gen8 i could do that. Sorry to say i don't have a Gen9 to play with.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Guillaule
Frequent Advisor

On System Staus i have SNMP with linked component like Drive, System, Storate ... and MP which redirect to  ILO homepage

I think the same i don't need AMS and ILO must discover the system name, it's strange ...

yes sure if you can clarify this point

regards

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Sad to say the server stayed a serial, only after the installation of the AMS the serial was changed to the servername.

So in short you need the AMS service is required if you use a forwarder toy map the event to the servername instead of the serial. A serious flaw... almost there on agentless monitoring. In defence of the AMS, you do get more info on the server you might be interested is like driver and software info.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Guillaule
Frequent Advisor

ohhh ok thanks, as you said .. agentless need an agent .. why not !? :)

but for my Gen9 on Ubuntu 14 there is no AMS agent , it's a pity

regards

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Check this document for AMS considerations:

HP Agentless Management

There is a matrix in here that shows  you the benefits of AMS/iLO monitoring on Gen8, which I think is similar to Gen9 (I have not seen this updated for Gen9 yet).

Yes, without the AMS service you cannot get the OS details since the iLO needs to communicate with the AMS service to pull this information.  All you get is IP/serial # and basic model information that the iLO knows by default.