New Discussion юеВ

Insight Control suite (ICE) 3.10

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Babayan
Advisor

Insight Control suite (ICE) 3.10

Hi Guys,

I am not sure this is the right Forum for these questions.

1)I need someone to tell me about this, do we have to pay separately for these plug-ins >> (HP System Insight Manager (HP SIM) 5.3.1, HP Insight Rapid Deployment software (RDP) 3.83, HP Insight Virtual Machine Manager software (VMM) 3.6.1, HP Insight Performance Manager module 5.2.) ....which they come with "Insight Control suite (ICE) 3.10 " or do we just pay for the license which it covers all of these plug-ins as a whole "Insight Control suite (ICE) 3.10 " Package?
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/ice/index.html

I am also in the process of planning to upgrade our HP SIM 5.1 SP1 with SQL 2000 to HP SIM 5.3 SP1 with SQL 2005 / 2008 and I am wondering whether to use "Insight Control suite (ICE) 3.10 " instead of just HP SIM 5.3 SP1 ? Not sure how to go a bout this ?

2) What is the Maximum number of Hosts a MS SQL 2008 Express Edition DB can hold in its database ? I know Maximum limit for MS SQL 2005 Express Edition is 500 hosts but I could not find it for SQL 2008 Express Edition ?? I am thinking to use SQL 2008 Express Edition when I will be upgrading our current HP SIM 5.1 / MS SQL 2000 to HP SIM 5.3 SP1 SQL 2008 Express Edition due to some restrictions in purchasing a new license for MS SQL 2008 Standard Edition. Any advise is appreciated !!

Cheers,
Robert

13 REPLIES 13
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Re: Insight Control suite (ICE) 3.10

1) license info here http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantessentials/license/licenseops.html
HP SIM is free, rest is licenced (you can install the products without the licence though)

2) I remeber that sane amount of _devices_ one SIM server can handle is ~5000
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Robert Babayan
Advisor

Thanks Jarko for the Licensing info I will read it through ..

for question 2) SQL Server 2005 Express Edition supports 500 systems and 5,000 events.

What about SQL server 2008 Express ?

1- What is the Maximum systems does it support ?

2- What is the Maximum events, does it support ?

Cheers,
Robert
Robert Babayan
Advisor

Another question:

Can I just install " Insight Control suite (ICE) 3.10 " Package " on top of my HP SIM 5.1 / SQL 2000 that I have now, or do I need to upgrade the current HP SIM 5.1 / SQL 2000 to HP SIM 5.3 SP1 first and then install Insight Control suite (ICE) 3.10 " Package to include all the other plug-ins which it comes with this package ? I am not sure how to go a bout this ?

Cheers,
Robert
Indra2410
Advisor
Solution

It is possible to directly use Insight Control Suite (ICE) 3.10. If you directly try to install ICE 3.10 . You just launch IS Integrated Installer and then select the plug-ins you want to install. ICE 3.10 will automatically upgrade your existing database to SQL Express 2005 SP2 and will upgrade HP SIM also. It will not harm any of your existing data.

If you want to use any other database, you can manually upgrade to that Db first , then just do the installation.

Please post the result if you have tried.
Robert Babayan
Advisor

Thanks Indra2410,

I am assuming that the license comes with Insight Control suite (ICE) 3.10 will cover all the plug-in installtions as you select during the install. Is that correct ?

Please let me know ...

I will post my results here, it depends which upgrade path we might take..
Indra2410
Advisor

Installation does not require any license. You can install any plug-ins you want. After installation if you apply ICE or ICE -Bl license to your target system , it will enable you to do PMP,VMM ,VPM and IPM operations.

If you apply HP ID license along with ICE or ICE-BL Virtualizatin Manager , Capacity Advisor and Global Workload Manager operations.

Please reply.
Robert Babayan
Advisor

Thanks Indra,

Could you please point me to installation document for Insight Control suite (ICE) 3.10 ? I am still a bit confused because I have been told that you need to purchase a license for Insight Control suite (ICE) 3.10 ??

Cheers,
Robert
Indra2410
Advisor

Indra2410
Advisor

To do some operations on those plug-ins , yes you need license. But not before installation. After installation you can do all the licensing as per your requirement.