4879 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Managing software version for ESXi 5.0 on HP SIM

BigHPUser
Advisor

Managing software version for ESXi 5.0 on HP SIM

Hi

I am able to manage the version of the software installed on all my HP server running Microsoft Windows

I would like to know if it is possible to the same with all my ESXi 5.0 servers

I have try the same procedure (installing agent on server, associate a SPP as a baseline to the server in HP SIM)

but all my ESXi 5.0 server are always showing unknown (blue question mark) for the software column in HP SIM.

Does anyone have been able to compage software installed on ESXi server with a baseline using HP SIM ?

If so what software is listed in the page that compage both of them (server and SPP)

Thank you for your help

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

ESX servers are updated in an other fasion. Datacollection is possible for firmware and agents, drivers a supplied in an offline image that u use during installation with vip updates. Firmwares can be updated with Hpsum on a booted SPP iso image. For more info read the following : http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ESXi/HP-ESXi-Offline-Bundle-for-VMware-ESXi-5-0-using-VMware-Update/td-p/5414083#.VbZkLopUfCQ
Kind regards,

Andrew
BigHPUser
Advisor

Hi

I am aware of how to update ESXi servers using the offline bundle (vib)

I would like to be able to compare the version installed on ESXi servers with the one in a SPP  and have HP SIM to display if they are up-to-date or not.  is it possible ?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I believe that ESX 5.0 uses SNMP agents, so you should be able to collect the info you need. The problem is that the baselines in SIM/VCRM depend on the installers available for your OS, but there are no online updates for ESX. So you can't compare your datacollection information to a SPP. (Perhaps Some componenten but not all)The one thing you can do is create a report while the ESX servers are selected in SIM and you select the software portion of the reportage and export them to CSV format. In exel you can create a report that will show you the versions found and compare or sort them to see wich servers don't complie to your baseline. If you need pointers how to do this let me know.
Kind regards,

Andrew