mnickels
Occasional Contributor

New to Insight Manager - Some virtual machines show up twice

Hello,

I have a VMWare ESXi server that host 5 VMs

3 of these VMs are Windows Server 2003

1 is Windows 7

1 is Windows Server 2008

When I click "All Systems" the Windows 7 and Server 2008 VMs are listed via their computer name only as system type "Server". They have a blue question mark in the "HS" column.  They say they are hosted by my esx server just like the 2003 VMs. If I click on them the blue question mark is shown next to ping. Their IP addresses are NOT reported here.

These two servers are also listed via their FQDN as system type "Unmanaged", with green check marks in the HS column.  Their IP addresses are reported here.

The Server 2003 VMs are only listed once and appear to be working properly.

How do I get rid of the duplicate Unmanaged systems? I've tried deleted them, but they just come back.  I'd only like the Insight Manager to ping the servers just like it does for the Server 2003s.  I can ping them from the server that Insight Manager is installed on.

Please advise - I'm not very familiar with Insight Manager so I may need step by step instructions.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Re: New to Insight Manager - Some virtual machines show up twice

Do check the following:

1) Check if Vmware tools are installed on the VM's that you want to manage. If not do install the same.

2) Install WMI Mapper on CMS (if not there already) and Register as WMI Proxy in HPSIM Option -> protocols

3) Create a new discovery task with the IP address of the ESX Host and provide all the credential (Host and Guest both). This wil result in discovery of VM also.

The unmanaged node will get merged. 

I assume that there is no firewall in place.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

mnickels
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the reply.

1) VMware Tools are installed on all VMs

2) How do I know if WMI Mapper is installed? Under Options -> Protocols -> WMI Proxy I do see the IP address of my Insight Manager Server

3) Upon trying to run the discover task I put in my root credentials for my ESX box.  I received this error: "Critical: There are no valid WBEM / WMI credentials for the system(s). " I also did not see an option to add alternative credentials, though I did check the box that says "If these system credentials fail, try other credentials that may apply. This may impact performance"

The only firewalls are the Windows firewalls on the Virtual Machines/CMS server. I did make an exception for port 5989 on the CMS server and WMI is enabled on all.

EDIT:

2) WMI Mapper is installed

3) I was able to successfully run a discovery task but I still have duplicates just like before.  During the second part of the scan, it only listed my 2003 VMs, not the two that I'm having trouble with. Two of the VMs scanned successfully - one  2003 VM failed with the error:

********* Significant issues and overall target discovery/identification
Critical: The managed system is not reachable.

********* Additional results (listed for information only):

Critical: The managed system is not reachable.
* Running system Manage Communication diagnosis...
* System identification finished on system.

I'm using the same credentials, and the same ports are open, so I'm not sure why  that one didn't work.

Thanks!

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Add WMI Mapper Proxy: Options -> Protocols -> WMI Proxy -> Add (provide the CMS IP, as WMI Mapper is installed on the CMS)

Create a Discovery task or Edit the older one: Provide the IP of Host and click Credentials provide the Sign Credentials of the Host and click "Add" to add Guest Credentials .

Run Discovery.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

mnickels
Occasional Contributor

WMI Mapper is setup correctly.

When I edit my discovery task I do not have a tab for guest credentials.  I have Sign in and SNMP.  When I click "Show advanced protocol credentials" I get WBEM/WMI and WS-MAN.

I've tried adding the guest credentials to WBEM/WMI, but as I stated in my last post, it's scans my ESX box, but only finds the Server 2003 VMs - it doesn't even try to scan the 2008/Windows 7 VMs.

Thanks

Sands15
Frequent Advisor

First check this that how you are discovering all systems wheather by WBEM or by SNMP.
Then configure the same properly for the discovery.