New Discussion юеВ

Re: Newbie Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter_373
Occasional Contributor

Newbie Question

Apologies if this seems daft, but...
In CIM-7 we used to have an event so that when a device changed status ( to critical, major, or minor) we would get an email alert.
From looking at other posts I'm aware that there isn't a direct comparison in SIM, but until I can get on a course I need to set something similar up.
I'm getting emails when systems are unavailable, so I know email is set up properly, but we are not getting alerts when, for example, a PSU fails or a HDD fails? (we have an old server about to be scrapped that I can "test" on).
Any help on this would be really appreciated as I'm getting nowhere fast.
Thanks
WizWas
3 REPLIES 3
Gene Nordahl
Valued Contributor
Solution

Ran into the same issue we used to do all our notifications off the status change events too.

What you will have to do is set up the monitored systems to send traps to the SIM server. Under your SNMP settings on the Traps tab put in the SIM server (and localhost) as a trap destination.

You will then want to customize the SNMP traps in SIM, otherwise you could get flooded with events (for example by default a failed HD will generate 5 critical events between initial failure and rebuild complete).
Matt Wale

In the sim managemnent page, you can go under options > events > automatic event handling > new task to create your email tasks based on a number of criteria..including status changes...i never used cim, so i hope this is what your looking for.
Peter_373
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys

forgot to add the new SIM server to the snmp trap settings.... What can I say!