5319 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No event on PS failure??!

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

No event on PS failure??!

Hi Folks,

SIM 7.3.0 running on a Windows 2008 VM in a 3 node cluster ( Proliant DL380 G7). When we remove a power cord form one of the nodes (testing), the health status of the node recognizes we have "lost" a PS but no trap/event is generated. We are seeing the same behaviour with a 3800 switch.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

BuddyD

15 REPLIES 15
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Did you configure SNMP or WBEM traps on your servers ?

You need to tell your servers etc, where to send their error to.
Kind regards,

Andrew
BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

The HP servers are ESX hosts configured with WBEM, which appear to be working fine as far as status of the various components. But....no alerts.  The ILO's are configured to send snmp traps to SIM via snmp. When I look at each host thru Configure -> Manage Communications, it thinks evry thing is fine, Identification and Events have a green check mark.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Try to do a subscribe to WBEM events from the SIM interface. You can this option under options > Events > Subscribe to wbem events while the ESX servers have been selected. The SNMP forward trough ILO should also work.
Kind regards,

Andrew
BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Thanks again, Andrew.

Still no luck with the testing removal of a PS. I've been able to get acknowledgement of the "change" in both SIM(WBEM) and the Vsphere Client (alarms), but no alerts via snmp. However, if I log in to the ILO and send a test alert via snmp, it all works like a charm.

Where do I tell SIM the a "lost PS" is not an informational event and I want to be alerted? is there a WBEM notification system/config file somewhere?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

I know that snmp mibs severity can be changed from SIM but have not found an equal option for wbem events. You can configure the ILO to forward server events, these events would be SNMP and then you can change the severity of the event here :
Go to Options => Events => SNMP Trap Settings
find the corresponding mib and content, to change the status.

Original post : http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITRC-HP-Systems-Insight-Manager/Change-Event-Severity-of-a-specific-event/td-p/4706525#.VbKUOEpUeK0

Kind regards,

Andrew
BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Thank you again, Andrew.

That didn't seem to work. I change the severity to Critical but it still shows up as an informational event.

I've been reading thru a few other spearate posts here, a suggestion from Tushar Bajpai was to run mxwbemsub from the SIM host. When I do that and query my 3 ESXi hosts, I'm getting 2 Filter Names for each host, HPSIM_TYPE_1_hostname_0 and then hostname_1.  Although each query is different:

select * from CIM_AlertIndication and select * from HP_DeviceIndication.

Is this normal or problematic?

Further down in that same thread, there was an indication that disabling the ESX firewall helped. I'm headed down that path now...stay tuned.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

I've had a lot of problems with WBEM events for ESX servers do i switched to SNMP trough the ILO. Don't you get the event from the ILO then?
Kind regards,

Andrew
BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Andrew, I would have to agree with that statement. I've been able to solve the problem, bypassing wbem and going to snmp. I'm not sure why it still won't work from the ILO, but enabling snmp via ESX seems to have done the trick. The link I used to enable snmp is below, hopefully it will help someone else.

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.monitoring.doc_50%2FGUID-EA64297A-35FD-4226-A1B2-367C57D38CBD.html

I'd also have to agree with other folks in this forum who have experienced difficulty getting HP hardware to communicate properly with HP software ( SIM, IMC, etc.) I'm now struggling to get a few HP switch stacks to communicate with SIM and/or IMC.

I have 2 HP E3800 (J9576A) 48 port switches (stacked), SIM reports that it can successfully communicate via snmp but if I pull a power cord neither SIM or IMC report anything. Same for 2 stacks of edge switches ( HP A5120 )...frustrating.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions, Andrew.

I'll post the resolution if/when I get the switches reporting properly.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again, Did you configure SNMP trap to the SIM server on the switch ??
Kind regards,

Andrew