1752815 Members
5843 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Old system with new OS, but OS data not updated

SOLVED
Go to solution

Old system with new OS, but OS data not updated

We have migrated some of our servers from Win 2k3 to Win 2k8 R2. Computer name, IP, ... didn't change. I've started Hardware and Software Scan for these systems, but there are still the old data for OS in SIM. Is the manually data change in the system properties page the only way? I know I could delete and re-discover the system, but we want to keep the event history and the collection settings. Is there any task for the OS scan available?
Thanks and regards
Holger
12 REPLIES 12
shocko
Honored Contributor

Are you usng SNMP or WBEM based agents? What versions are the agents? What hardware platforms are the servers?
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)

Hello shocko,
all systems have WBEM installed, but on SMH ist SNMP as data source configured. The Insight Agents on 8.70.0.0, WBEM 2.70 or 2.80. All server ProLiant, DL380 G5 or DL580 G5.
Regards
Holger
shocko
Honored Contributor

Can you run an identification/data collection tasks on one of the affected servers and post the output?
pmlb
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hello Holger,
Did you check the system properties for these equipments ?
In the "System Information" block make sure that the checkbox "Prevent the Discovery, Identification and Data Collection processes from changing these system properties" is not selected.

Regards,
Pierre-Marie

Hello Piera-Marie,

why does the whole live isn't such as easy? 10Pts for you. Our compay directive is to not flag "Prevent the Discovery, ... from changing these system properties", but it seems that someof my colleague didn't remember that and set the flag for the systems.

Additional question: Do you know how I can check all systems for these flag? The best for me would be a SQL Query or the table / column.

Regards
Holger
pmlb
Frequent Advisor

Hello Holger,
I don't know an easy way to verify this.
Something that worked for me was to run "mxnode -lf" command in a cmd window and check the value of the tag for each equipment. When no checkbox is selected the value is 0.

Regards,
Pierre-Marie
shocko
Honored Contributor

This is probaly be possible with some SQL tracing enabled. You'd basically set the flag on in the GUI and then trace to see what table was updated.

Hello Pierre-Marie,
I've tried you tip, but none of my systems have the value 0. I've some others (see below).
The affected system (currently no checkbox set) has value 511, with checkbox 16740863. but what are the other values? Maybe there are other functions coded in these field? I will inspect the systems manually and try to find it out.

@shocko
I know the option for SQL trace, but my hope was that someone had the same problem in the past and a solution available. With SQL tarce I find the table deviceSnmpSettings with the col defaultProtoMask. These col has 511 w/o checkbos and 16740863 with it, so it seems the same data as the command from Pierre-Marie.
So I run "select distinct defaultProtoMask from deviceSnmpSettings" and got:

These are much more values as expected. Is the anywhere a documentation about the values?

Regards
Holger
pmlb
Frequent Advisor

Hello Holger,
I am not aware of any documentation on this subject.
Now, this is a mask, with a few tries we can imagine how to decode it. For instance:
0x00000000 (0) Newly discovered equipment, no customized properties
0x40000000 (1073741824) only "Prevent the Discovery process from changing this system name" selected
0x20000000 (536870912) only "Prevent the Discovery process from changing this system's primary IP address" selected
0x00FF7000 (16740352) only "Prevent the Discovery, Identification and Data Collection processes from changing these system properties" selected
and so on...
So 0x20FF7000 (553611264) would be "Prevent the Discovery process from changing this system's primary IP address" and "Prevent the Discovery, Identification and Data Collection processes from changing these system properties" selected

Regards,
Pierre-Marie