1752505 Members
5704 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Orphan_NN

Jon_151
Regular Advisor

Orphan_NN

I am trying to get rid of these Orphan servers. Just installed SIM 5.3 SP1 and it actually appends the server name to the Orphan ie: Orphan-91-servername

Read other posts that said to stop the foundation agents and delete the following key
HKLM\Software\Compaq\CIMAgent\GUID

This key is not present on my server.
The only GUID key I found was
HKLM\Software\Compaq Insight Agent\hostGUID

What is the proper way to do this?
See attached screen shot.
6 REPLIES 6
htulumba
Advisor

Have you solved your case?
Jon_151
Regular Advisor

No, They still show up and it is always the same 3.
htulumba
Advisor

Which os and agent version? Which ProLiant type? Have you also ESX or ESXi hosts as orphan?
Jon_151
Regular Advisor

Windows 2003 standard server on a DL380 G5
HPSIM agents 7.91.0.0. All the servers I am having issues with are physical servers.

All 21 servers were imaged, but I only have issues with 3.

I have not had any issues with ESX hosts.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hi Jon,

As you may have read in other posts, there is a unique GUID (ID) that is assigned to each host as used by the HP agents, and is referrence by SIM. Normally, if you do not manually delete the GUID prior to creating an image of your "Gold" server (as SYSPREP does not do this for you), that GUID is applied on all servers you deploy from that image (which is bad).

However, the symptoms I have seen is that servers overwrite each other in SIM (but this was a long time ago - maybe Orphan is how it does it now). So you would add a server, then add another, and since it had the same GUID, it would overwrite the first one in SIM that you had already added.

The Registery Key in question is:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Compaq Insight Agent]

You should stop all HP agents and delete that whole KEY before running sysprep and creating you image.

Now, since you are getting Orphan entries, I don't think this in your problem. But as I mentioned earlier, they may have now changed it so that the Orphan is the new symptom of the problem.

Can you check that KEY and see if the hostGUID is the same on several servers?

To fix the problem (if this is indeed your problem) after fact:

1) Remove all entries from SIM
2) Stop HP agents on all suspected devices
3) Delete the above mentioned KEY on all suspected devices
4) Start HP agents on all suspected devices
5) Add the devices back to SIM

If this is NOT your problem, let us know and we can go from there.

Nelson
Jon_151
Regular Advisor

Nelson,

I am not sure how the servers were imaged but I am only having issues with 3 out of 21. You would think that they all would have issues. Thank you for the information, I will have to wait until the orphans appear again, then I will try the fix.