5666 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM 6 SMTP 'authentication required' in any config

RHagen_1
Advisor

SIM 6 SMTP 'authentication required' in any config

Hi, running SIM 6 on 2008 R2 64 bit..

Getting "email could not be sent: authentication error" using (or not) vialid credentials or with nothing. on older 5.3 system used to use nothing for 'server requires authentication' option.

firewall is turned off on server. double checked older sim server is still using no server authentication to same smtp server.

any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
Ronald Evanochko

Ah same here. Windows 2008. Firewall off.

Cannot send SMTP mail. SMTP host is a valid name. Error is The email could not be sent: authentication error. However if I load a DOS based SMTP program on the C: drive, I can send an smtp mail message without problem.

Ronald Evanochko

Just tried to remove McAfee 8.7. Email alerts starting working right away. Put back McAfee 8.7 and email alerts stopped. Seems to be that Mcafee 8.7 does not like something.
HarveyJB

McAfee 8.7i will block port 25 by default. Disable the block for "prevent mass mailing worms from sending email" under Access Protection and you should be good to go. I had same issue and performed the above mentioned steps to resolve.
Ronald Evanochko

Many thanks. I checked that setting and our corporation already disables that feature. Not sure why but it is working now all of the time. I disabled the access protection and tested again. Emails starting sending. I then added smtp.exe to the exclusion list in exclusions. I then enabled access protection and emails are still routing. Reboot server and tested and emails are still routing. Looks like it is good to go.
RHagen_1
Advisor

after stopping the firewall and disabling the AV firewall, we rebooted the new SIM server but that still didn't clear up the issue..then when we got our first alert, it worked!! the test does NOT work but it seems to be kicking out any alert we set up now...
RHagen_1
Advisor

testing SMTP does not work but the alert notifications are working..