1748151 Members
3570 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMP (Scripting)

Annette Jones_2
Regular Advisor

SNMP (Scripting)

All, I have over 2000 servers that I have inherited, but I need to update the SNMP details e.g. community string, trap destination, cms certificate. I can't so it via the CMS cause I would have to sort out the trust for all the clients 1st. Is there a way to script these changes, the clients are 2000 and 2003?

Regards
6 REPLIES 6
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Use 'Configure or Repair Agents' in HP SIM and it will automatically fix community string, trap destination, set the agent to trust by certificate and populate the certificate by using OS authentication.
Annette Jones_2
Regular Advisor

David,

How do you populate the certificate using OS authentication? If you mean logon to each server and auto import cert on login, to do this still means logging into each server!
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

In HP SIM, pull down the 'Configure' menu and select 'Configure or Repair Agents.' You will be running a wizard that will ask which systems to perform the function on and then you'll be asked to supply an OS level username, password and optionally domain. Step 3 lets you choose to 'Configure SNMP' with the sub-options to set read community string to a value and whether to correct the trap destination. Additionally you can choose to set to Trust by Certificate (and it will send the certificate out to the agent). If you have agents prior to 7.1 where non-OS security was used, it will set the password for the built-in administrator account. You can also choose to configure SSH trust and (for HP-UX) to create WBEM subscriptions.

This feature has been available since HP SIM 4.2. It conquers the #1 consumption of time in HP SIM maintenance, chasing all of the communication protocols on bunches of servers.
H.Y. Yiu
Frequent Advisor

if you really want to do this by scripts:
- SNMP settings are in the registry, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SNMP\Parameters
- how to setup certificate trusts, see
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1164517

But using config/repair agents is easier...
Annette Jones_2
Regular Advisor

the repair agent didn't seem to work, some crptic message about no disk space available, which is not true on either the CMS or client.
tahar
Occasional Contributor

sory
wish i can help